• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Retro Computing Community

pitlog

Hi All,

I've been a lurker here for a while... this might even be my first post, but I really enjoy the posts I read.

I'm a pretty avid retro computing enthusiast. My personal projects include programming the CP/M operating system on the Simh Altair emulator, restoring an old AT&T 3B2 supermicro to full operating condition, and building an old style Public Access UNIX system with authentic early '90s hardware and software.

Most recently, I built a complete retro computing community site with a ton of functionality and running on a decent, dedicated server and a decent network.

It provides every user:
* photo album (very basic)
* blog
* forums
* wiki with traditional wiki markup and visual editors
* document management (downloads/uploads)
* event calendar
* private messaging
* sophisticated roles/permissions for your group/content
* free site classifieds (items wanted, forsale, etc)
* the ability to create special interest groups with all the above
* rating, reviews, tagging
* full text indexed search

It's pretty impressive software and I invite all to come take a look and participate if it suits you. The site is only a couple of days old, so there are no users and not much content, but I'm adding as much as I can, and I'm hoping others will see the value and contribute.

You can get to it at community.pitlog.com/connect

Register to post/create, otherwise no ads, charges, or other nonsense. All features are available to all registered users.

Last edited:
The system uses the google maps api to show a map of business locations and the like. If you put in a zip code without full address, the map shows whatever google considers to be the center of the zip. If you put in a full address, it shows the exact location and can provide directions.

I imagine most people will not want to put in an address for privacy reasons, but might want to put in a zip to provide some location context.

But it's up to you - you don't have to put in anything, in which case there is no map shown.

Back