• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A small pic of my up and running HP715/100XC and 715/80

afleetcommand

The one on the left is a HP9000 715/100XC, the one on the right a HP9000 715/80

These are both running HPUX 10.20 and using "vue" as the "GUI".

They both have either a BSD unix or Linux OS in their imediate future.

Attachments

• smallHP.jpg
    smallHP.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3
If you don't mind a bit of "constructive" criticism, I would have to ask why you want to run BSD (probably NetBSD) or Linux on these fine old HP workstations? Technically, they don't really have any useful purpose, other than keeping them running, and enjoying them, so why not keep HP/UX on them?

I say this as the owner of a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. Sure, it could run one of the BSD's or Linux on it, and keep more "up to date", but that would defeat the whole purpose of my acquiring this machine. By keeping it up and running Sun Solaris, I'm preserving it in it's original format.

I also plan on acquiring one of the older HP workstations, and if it comes with HP/UX, then that is what I will keep on it. If I can't get HP/UX on it, then I would consider running NetBSD on it.

Just my $0.02.

I agree I guess. My 715/100XC will stay origional with HPUX 10.20 and "Vue"..along with my Apollo 400T with "Domain". My dilema is I have applications running in "Windows" and another useful application that can handle files from the "Windows" application running on the HP's. I would like to build a Linux server as a "bridge" between the two environments. So either my HP E-server 800 or that HP 715/80 HPUX system are prime candidates for being both a file server and a place where both the Windows and HPUX machines can archive and or exchange files. Is it possible? I don't know yet. But it has to be easier than blending a Windows machine directly to an HPUX machine running Vue. I also want to use one of those old HP's as a host for a "NetScape" web browser and possibly take the new "working Athlon 64 based" machines off the net...they have real value and those old machines are, as you pointed out; fun and games. Giving them a real job is the best thing to really complete the "resurection" of those old monsters.

What do you have running on your SUN? Its possible I might be able to dig up some "period" esoteric stuff to run on those...does it have the old "hoops" graphics library capability? How about a c++ compiler?

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "windows". Are you talking about Microsoft Windows, or the X Window System?

What I have at the house is a Linux server running SAMBA for my Microsoft Windows file shares, and is also exporting NFS mounts for my other Linux and Unix computers. Things seem to run quite nicely.

I hope that helps!

"windows" = "Microsoft Windows"

It sounds like you have accomplished exactly what I would like to do! So there is hope and yea, that has helped!

I hope The HP Netserver E800 can be used as my "Linux" bridge between the "MicroSoft Windows XP network", the "HP-UX network", and also be a general file server for all my stuff. At some point setting up a web browser on those old HP's for kicks sounds like fun...the other reason Linux sounds like an attractive solution for one or more of my old HP's.

(I have a few: 715/100 (Linux maybe?), 715/100XC(main HP-UX machine for me), 715/80 ("Guinea Pig Linux candidate"), 735/99(Next Project), 720, 750Tower(unix file server Now), and finally a HP/Apollo 400T)

Last edited:
Back