• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A super sweet monitor find

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
About two hours ago I went to my local thrift store to see about finding an old e-Machine desktop or something. I left the store empty handed but figured I try my luck with the throw-aways out back. There I found a box for an old 17" CRT monitor from maybe the early 2000s... But what I found inside was sooooo much better.
Inside. I found a 20" Hitachi (cornerstone branded) CRT monitor dated 1996. It supports up to a smashing 2048x1536 @70Hz and it's as bright as a new CRT. The box had "almost new" written on it in sharpy and I think that they were indeed referring to this monitor rather than whatever monitor it was on the box. I've been looking for one of these 20/21" CRT displays for at least 5 years now. Oh boy is this one glorious.

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
Wow. Congrats on the find. I didn't realize thrift stores would let people go through "throw away" stuff.

kc8eyt

Experienced Member
Wow. Congrats on the find. I didn't realize thrift stores would let people go through "throw away" stuff.

In America we call that dumpster diving :)

There's probably some thrift store employee right now that is pissed that his monitor is not sitting in the dumpster waiting for him!

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
In America we call that dumpster diving :)

There's probably some thrift store employee right now that is pissed that his monitor is not sitting in the dumpster waiting for him!

lol that's a funny thing to picture but no. I struck up a deal with the store manager some 4 odd years ago that basically any CRT is mine to take if I want it. Since I spend like half of all my money at his store it's the least he could do lol