• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A "What Game Is This" Thread

Raven

Veteran Member
The first game I remember ever playing...

DOS (I believe 3) laptop, dual 3.25" floppies, dunno if they were 720K, 1MB, or 1.44MB - likely 1MB or lower.

The game was all ASCII, and you moved a block character around with the arrows. He had a vision radius around him, and you were in some kind of maze. The area outside the vision radius was totally black.

Any idea what this game was?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't hack/nethack/rogue, as the sight radius in this game faded as you walk past an area, and there was no interface to the game.

I was unable to find any documentation on "Quest" on the web.

could this have been some variant of ZZT? ZZT had a level editor as well if that sparks your memory. I believe it had dark areas, and torches to light them up. There was also ammo to shoot bullets (degree signs) at tigers (pi symbols) and such

You happen to remember any more about the computer or year it may have been? There was a dungeons and dragons game or two but those from what I remember stayed lit once you walked through the maze.

Any other details or oddities in the game that might narrow things down? Did you type commands or just walk around?

Back