• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ACER 900 HD settings Award 3.01B

LorneinCanada

Experienced Member
I'm working with the AWARD 3.01B BIOS (setup) Its pretty plain Jane. Text. No user variable HD settings as far as I can tell. You just get to select a number between 1 and 83. Wondering if there is a list out there someplace for HD parameters for each number entry. I found one page yesterday with bunch of info for other old BIOS's but not this one. If I can not find one is there a way to read the bios info? I mean its probably beyond my skill sets but worth asking. I will probably add an XTIDE set up to this PC and skip playing with the old MFM HD. But it would be fun to "spin it up" Just once if possible. I guess I could move the HD over to a new PC to test it.
The drive card is a WDC 1003-WA2. I tried to get it going with the floppy. But wasn't successful. I think I will give it another go this afternoon. I tried a different cotrol card with IDE and tried to run a CF card. But without an ide of what HD entry to use.... I was not successful. I did manage to load DOS 3.2 eventually from the floppy. Ran Checkit. So the PC seems promising. Has about two MB ram installed. Using a Trident VGA card.

Attachments

• 100_1710.JPG
    100_1710.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1697.JPG
    100_1697.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 1
If I can not find one is there a way to read the bios info?
Try the tool (for DOS) at [here].

Note: I remember that I had not written it properly, and that I was going to get around to address that one day. It relies on the fixed disk table being at a particular address in the BIOS. A lot of early BIOS authors maintained the same location and format.

Hi Modem. I just had a light bulb moment. I was flicking though ebay and an old mfm drive there had a sticker on it with a number. Then the light bulb went on. "What if some OG from yesteryear left me a note?!?!?" Sure enough there was a little sticker on the drive with the number 12. I powered up the PC with the HD attached. The drive spooled up smooth as silk. I entered the HD selection 12, saved and excited... A brief pause of trepidation. And shi.... stuff started scrolling! I was able to move over to A: it was working and brought up checkit for a little test. All good. Back to C:
I'm a newby to DOS. But I see entries there that look like directories... but have no brackets. I tried typing HELP and enter bad command. Kermit. Same. I tried CD HELP and later Kermit and ended up in a directory with just . and .. there. Probably all operator error. VER brought up DOS version 3.3 ..... I'll throw in some pics then I'm off to check out the link you shared.
I guess one more question before I go. There must be some kinda lube on the spindle bearings. My experience with real old lube is it turns hard. But the fact that the drive spun up nicely...... Maybe the grease/ lube in these things lasts a long time??

Attachments

• 100_1736.JPG
    100_1736.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_1737.JPG
    100_1737.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 3
I'm a newby to DOS.
I see an 'MS-DOS for Beginners' book online.

Same. I tried CD HELP and later Kermit and ended up in a directory with just . and .. there.
The single dot means 'current directory'.
The double dot means 'parent directory'.

For example:
I am in the directory C:\APPLE\CORE\ROTTEN
To get back one level (the parent directory), two possible commands are:
CD \APPLE\CORE; or
CD ..

I guess one more question before I go. There must be some kinda lube on the spindle bearings. My experience with real old lube is it turns hard. But the fact that the drive spun up nicely...... Maybe the grease/ lube in these things lasts a long time??
Some factors would have to be:
- How long since the previous power-up.
- Quality of hardware (includes lubricants).
- Storage conditions.

Actually I have the MS DOS 5 book here someplace. I'll find it. Must be under something or something.
Just debating. This PC should handle 6.22. Which offers a bit more. But then, do I need more?? Baby steps. Maybe I'll see about adding a 1.44 mb drive. Looks like 3.3 can do that. Not sure about my controller card...... I'm planning on installing a P38 HAL modem in this. I have a 386 set up with one already. With a little luck I can do some CLOVER mode across the house LOL. A 1.44 drive would be handy.

I recommend this book... What I've had since a kid, and covers about everything... Seen newer versions on Amazon for round 6 dollars.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Back