• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

acer aspire x1200 automatic shutoff temps

wolfie

Experienced Member
my friend dropped of his computer for me to take a look at a week ago and i have not been having much luck keeping it working. when he first gave it to me it was full of dust and the fins on the heat sync were pack with dust and crap. the fan on the video card was seized and caused video card to die and caused the computer to stop work. simple fixes. i removed the video card and used the on board one and blew the computer out with my compressor. after that it boot up just fine but was extremely slow. i have formated and installed windows 7 and it is still slow as before and sometime it would boot and sometimes it would not even recognize the drives. any how i look in the bios and the lowest automatic shutdown temp is 90*c. i am wondering if it was to actually be operating close to that tempature could it cause damage to the mother board that would cause it to be slow and sometime not recognize the drives.

It should not have killed anything permantly, and I've had many a video card overcook without taking out anything else.
But...
What you describe does sound a lot like a BGA southbridge chip problem. These things get overheated and various parts become intermittent or fail altogether. I have a Acer laptop with just that problem. I did a homebrew relflow attempt and it fixed the problem for a short time.

thanks for the response. i don't plan on attempting to reflow a mother board. i don't have the tools or the patience for it. i forgot to mention that i think the computer may have been running hot for a few months before my friend dropped it off to me because he had asked me a few months ago to take a look at but only dropped it this month. from some of the Googling i did last night, i read that mother boards seem to start to fail when they operate in the 80-100*C temperature area.

At the risk of going OT: Is it just me, or are problems with largeish BGA chips becoming a common theme lately?

At the risk of going OT
don't worry about it. i told my friend his computer is not fixable but his file can be transfered to another computer if he want them. i don't know much about computer chips. the only thing i know about them is they tend to be mass produced.

Back