• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Adding LA75 printer to VAX 4000

DECtechGuy

Experienced Member
At a bit of a loss on something so seemingly obvious. :confused:

I'm trying to add my newly acquired LA75 to my VAX 4000 running VMS 6.1, but I'm not finding it in the SHOW DEVICES list. The operators manual for the VAX does say I can add a printer to the serial ports, one of which I have the LA75 connected.

Printer is all set up with the correct baud rate (9600) and even works straight from my VT420, but without it in the DEVICES list I can't add it to a spool for batch handling.

It's not going to show up like a disk drive. What you will see is the serial port. I.E. TTA0: or something similar. You have to set the serial port to the device type either manually with a SET TERMINAL/DEVICE=LA75/PERM TTA0: or SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE/PERM TTA0: (If the printer is connected and turned on). You can also do this in the OpenVMS startup DCL script .

Now, if the TTA0: isn't showing up, that's a different problem. But as far as I know it should. It's been a long time since I've worked with V6 but I don't think there is any autogen or other configuration needed.

That got it. Specifically the SET TERMINAL, which I was evidently overlooking. And just for posterity, from there 'INITIALIZE/QUEUE/START/DEVICE=TERMINAL TTA0' to create a queue for printing jobs and then 'SET DEVICE/SPOOLED TTA0:' to set the device as spooled.

And finally, 'PRINT/queue=TTA0 (filespec)' gets down to printing.

Many thanks!

Back