• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Adding more than 8MB RAM to a Mac SE/30

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

I've got 16 MB RAM (4x4 sticks) I'll be adding to my Mac SE/30 soon, upgrading from it's present 2MB. I've read this statement on another forum...

You'll need to install the Mode32 extension to address more than 8MB as the SE/30 has a 32-bit "dirty" ROM. My SE/30 runs quite happily on 8MB, (8 x 1MB SIMMs), which is adaquate for retro gaming and some older apps.

Two questions...

1. Will my "dirty ROM" Mac still run ok with 16MB physical RAM installed even though it can only address 8MB RAM? I'm assuming it simply thinks it's got 8MB but otherwise runs normally?

2. Where does one get the "Mode32" extension. Is it built into OS 7.0?

Tez

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

I actually had a go at upgrading the memory today, but the 1 x 4MB SIMMS sticks I had weren't recognised by the machine? One is either faulty or they are of a type the Mac can't recognise. I've read that there are some chips where this happen with the MAC SE/40.

Anyway, I had some 4 x 1MB chips in a spare parts container and used those in Bank A instead so the unit now has 5MB onboard. That's enough for the machine to run OS 7.1 and most programs successfully.

The installation wasn't without it's problems though. The plastic clips holding in the RAM chips had become quite brittle. One a few of the stick holders, one clip had already broken. When I peeled back the remaining clip on one stick holder, that snapped too.

Opps!

As a temporary measure I've used a rubber band just to hold the chip in, until I can think of a more permanent solution. This works for now, but of course it's just a stop-gap measure.

rubber-band-holding-chip.jpg

Anyone else come across this problem, and solved it? I'm thinking I'll have to look for some tiny plastic clips or pegs for a permenant solution.

Tez

Last edited:
If it works, leave it.

Change the elastic band every year and it should be fine.

168-pin retainers are easily replaced, but, broken 30-pin and 72-pin socket clips usually require the replacement of the entire socket.

Not something that I would spend the time doing.

Back