• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Advantech PCA-6187 Industrial SBC

bladamson

Veteran Member
Hey folks. I have the aforementioned PCA-6187 industrial cpu. It is designed to be plugged into a PICMG 1.0 spec backplane, which locates the isa edge connector in the usual position, and the pci connector behind that.

The card draws power from the bus, as well as from a 12v header.

I want to plug this cpu card into an 8 bit isa backplane in a Heathkit H158 XT-compatible computer, as an "upgrade" to the 8088. It is basically an 8 bit isa industrial computer in a desktop case.

So I plug the advantech card into the bare backplane, and connect the 12v header through a molex connector. Power on, and nothing comes on the screen, although it does power up and the fan runs and the power led header gets voltage. Voltages check normal.

Now, my first assumption is that the card is faulty, as I have no idea if it was a working pull or junk. But is it possible that I need to supply power to the appropriate pins on the pci connector, which is not plugged into anything, to get the thing to initialize?

The manual doesn't go into detail in this regard, and picmg.org wants me to pay an exorbitant fee for the spec document. If any of you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!!!

Back