• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AlphaServer 2100 - hookup/startup after long storage

Juror22

Experienced Member
I have an AlphaServer that I got several years ago that has been in storage (mostly climate controlled) since an estimated mid 2000's time-frame.

I would like to attempt a start-up, but I would also like to avoid destroying its components in the process. I don't believe that I'm overly cautious, but I also don't have a great deal of knowledge in terms of bringing an Alpha pedestal server back on line after 15+ years and several hundred miles of transport.

I have downloaded and read through the 2100 owners manual and some other docs, regarding boot, but I have some additional questions before I apply power for effect. I don't have a digital mouse, keyboard or monitor, so one of my primary questions is whether an older PS2 keyboard and mouse could be used with the 2100? I found online where someone had documented using an older LCD monitor with the video card, so I think that I can use their solution to view the output. If none of these work out, I think that I can cobble together a serial solution (I used to have remote web terminals for some HP's and they had an option for VT terminal entry), but I would rather use the other equipment if possible.

All that I have done to date:
I have re-seated the memory and CPU cards in the backplane and re-seated the drives in the storage units.
There is a SCSI, video, ethernet and Fibre card installed that I have not reseated.
I have plugged in both power supplies and powered them on and the AC LED lights.
I have not found a battery in there yet, but there has to be one, right? Does anyone know the location?

As soon as I find out from here if it is possible to use a standard (non-windows) PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse and if there are any other things that I should check prior to applying power, I will see if I can get it to start up.

I have an AS2100 here (4 CPUs and 1GB RAM) that I ran some old Linux on years ago. I used a regular PS/2 mouse and keyboard on it. Played around with the last Windows 2000 beta once or twice, but mostly ran a couple of different Linux dists on it. Had the EISA DAC960 array controller and two storage works bays in it, with a whole bunch of disks. Replaced with a PCI DAC960 and ran it in production for a little while in the mid 2000's.

Stopped using it when it became very difficult to support the Sable SMP architecture with newer Linux.

I even did a Stage 1 Gentoo; took a month.

Back