• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair disk drive found (and bought) off ebay!

kingchops

Experienced Member
I was scanning ebay a few weeks back when I came accross an Altair disk drive for $210 "buy it now". I couldn't resist had to have it. Paid $370 all up for postage to Australia, which I though was great. Now, it doesn't have the controller cards, so I'm under no illusion of getting this thing to work any time soon, but I figure buying a part of history for $370 is well worth it.

Here's some pics:

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

that is a seriously good deal. congrats. i sold one just like it about 6 months ago for well over $1000.00!

This might seem like a dumb question, but, where's the spindle drive motor? Does it have a DC drive motor on the bottom? Or is it missing, and does it belong in the empty hole in the drive chassis?

If it's missing, will a standard spindle motor fit and work? I think I have still have some 220VAC spindle motors removed from some Shugart 8" drives when I converted some Shugart 8" drives from 220VAC to 110VAC.

Hold on. I just had a look at a couple of other pictures with drives more closely resembling this one and they are the same, i.e. no motor in that spot. See pic here about half way down the page:

http://jeanies-altair.blogspot.com.au/2010_03_01_archive.html

Also I have a saved pic of another drive which shows the same gap. I reckon it's just the way this model is. Anyway, I'm at work now, will confirm later.

Also found another here:

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/MITS/88-DCDD/MITS_Altair_88-DCDD_top-cover-removed.jpg

Last edited:
Hi King;
What you have is the regular DC drive, that Mits used. If you look at the other side of the Drive, You will see the Drive Spindle Motor attached/ Mounted Drirectly on the Spindle..
Thank You Marty

Hi King;
What you have is the regular DC drive, that Mits used. If you look at the other side of the Drive, You will see the Drive Spindle Motor attached/ Mounted Drirectly on the Spindle..
Thank You Marty

Yeah, had a look at it last night and confirmed that the motors are all there. One thing that is missing is the cross bar off the top of the drive cage. Not a big deal and would be easy to fix.

Hi King;
Most likely Pertec used the same mounting/ holding shell for their drives, whether a DC type or an AC type.. It would have been alot cheeper.. Now look at another posting on this site, (Altair 8800 and 8" Drive) that talks about making His drive work/respond.. That way You can see if you have a good Spindle Motor, by carefully grounding or pulling high the various inputs to see what works on the Drive.. Better to check it out now, rather than find a set of Controller Cards and find that the Drive needs work or is totally bad..
THANK YOU Marty

So some (all?) of the Pertec 8" full height floppy drives used dc spindle motors like the later (to come) 1/2 height 8" floppy drives?

That's pretty cool. I've never seen that (or it's been so long that I don't remember seeing that.

It's been 30 years since I had my poor Altair (I got the thing in pieces, didn't have the Altair floppy drives, and never got it running). Had an IMSAI in pieces and never got that running either, LOL.

Hi All;
Micro, no not necessarily, Altair got DC Drives at first, and possibly later, Pertec Sent them what ever they had, either DC or AC, Also the DC types, They had trouble with, and that May have been Why they later Switched to AC.. or Since Altair was ordering So Many, they Shipped whatever they had in Stock.. Can't say for sure.. Both the Altair and the Imsai were relatively Simple machines.. I'm supprised You had trouble with Both.. Especially considering you name -- MicrocomputerSolutions..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Micro, no not necessarily, Altair got DC Drives at first, and possibly later, Pertec Sent them what ever they had, either DC or AC, Also the DC types, They had trouble with, and that May have been Why they later Switched to AC.. or Since Altair was ordering So Many, they Shipped whatever they had in Stock.. Can't say for sure.. Both the Altair and the Imsai were relatively Simple machines.. I'm supprised You had trouble with Both.. Especially considering you name -- MicrocomputerSolutions..
THANK YOU Marty

To tell you the truth, I never worked that hard at getting those two working.

I built my SD Systems board set (SBC200, ExpandoramII, and VersafloppyII) from kits, installed the S-100 connectors in a Integrand Research System 800 Series System Enclosure, and install the active termination, scratch built a power supply to run 5.25" and 8" floppies without having any serious problems.

My first decent working terminal was a Heathkit H-19 (that I had to wait in line for months to get). I refused to buy a Heathkit H-9 terminal after seeing what my brother went through to get his working with his H-8. The only good thing I could say about the H-9 terminal is that later on, I found out that Heath used the same 12" crt in the CO-2600 Engine Analyzer/Scope that I bought and built later when I worked briefly at the Heathkit Store in LA as the Assistant Manager. As a side story, what most people don't know is that by 1981, Zenith had already decided to close the Heathkit Stores, even as they were following an earlier plan and still opening new stores in 1982. They hired me at the end of 1981 recruiting me away from Radio Shack where I was a Store Manager, promising me my own Heathkit Store due to new store openings by the end of 1982, knowing full well they would start closing stores in 1983.

I moved on to Compupro boards, and complete systems, buying some boards from Priority One Electronics, and most of the rest at the Computer Swapmeet (late 1970s and early 1980s) that used to be held at the San Jose Fairgrounds (where I met Bill Godbout and George Morrow for the first time).

After buying a few Compupro boards, I didn't see any reason to mess with the older, lower performance, harder to integrate stuff, and as a result, got rid of the Altair and the IMSAI. Before that, I made several trips to the Bay Area to try to find IMSAI replacement parts, and wandered into WW Component Supply and met the Fulcrum Computer people.

Last edited:
Hi Micro;
WOW !! You have had quite the Experience and stories to tell, I would love to hear more.. Please, tell more about Godbout and Morrow..
THANK YOU Marty

Back