• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altos 8200 or 8000 series

Lorne

Veteran Member
I'd like to find a user's manual for an Altos 8200-1.

I've got an Altos 5/15 that works just fine, and have been trying to get my Altos 8200-1 working.

I've been using the Altos 8000 Series manual to figure out what's going on with my 8200, and it's not working.

I can't find out anything about the 8200.
I'm starting to think as my serial number is something like # 2472, that maybe they changed the model numbers later on. Mine is a multi-user machine (total 4 users, 2 - 8" floppy drives (no hard drive). I know that the 8000 Series manual mentions that an 8200 chassis is a multi-user machine, but there's no 8200-1 listed (and that's what's stamped on the back of mine).

I turn it on, the fan blows air, both floppies spin like mad, but there's no monitor/terminal test, and request to boot from the floppy. I'm using the same settings on the terminal for the 8200, as I do for the 5/15 as both those manuals use the same settings - but something's different on the 8200.

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen an 8200?

Hi Lorne,

As an ex Altos fan, or lets say I appreciated their technology it saddens me that there is so little online documentation or software images for these visionary computers.

If you own a scanner - scan
If you have a working system - image the disks or otherwise make available the software for posterity.

You know it makes sense

marcus!

Yeah - I've got originals of the Altos 5/15 disks, and I just emailed bitsavers.org to see if they want to put the images on their site.
If anyone needs copies, just PM me.

I just wish I could find a manual for the 8200-1. Then maybe that would be a working system.

Back