• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

rcamarda

Anyone by chance have the Diagnostic disk for the 8000-10 machine? I need to get the hard disk going and I could really use that disk. I can provide floppies for a copy, or maybe someoen has the disk image? The images online that I have found are not for this system.

Thanks!

Rich

Rich:

I have some Altos disks coming in the mail, but am not sure if they are what you need.

I am getting:

CP/M (original)
MP/M (original)
Altos Diag. Exec (original)
ADX Master Backup (copy)
Wordstar 3.0 (copy)
Spellstar (copy)
Calcstar (copy)
Supersort (copy)
Mailmerge (copy)
DBASE II (copy)

They were for an Altos 5-15.
I also have an Altos 8200-1 and I'm hoping they'll work on that one too.
Neither of these two machines have a hard disk, so I don't know if they're what you need or not.
PM me if you think they'll work. (there's too many forums to check here and I might forget to check this one, so PM is better).

Lorne.

Don't think that will work....different machines, different interfaces, even.
The Series 5 was a later machine, by a few years...
The Series 5 media, btw, is DS/QD 5.25" 96tpi, which you will have a REALLY FUN time interfacing to the 8000.

Check here for "altos.zip," which has the CP/M and diagnostic disk images, in TeleDisk format, for the ACS-8000.
Now whether this is ONLY for the FDD-only 8000 series, I don't know.

If you're going to be monkeying around with 8" disks, might I suggest the following:

1) Get a PC, like a Pentium 75mHz, with at least 2-3 ISA slots
2) Acquire a CompatiCard IV card
3) go to dbit.com and order their FDADAP adapterm to connect 8" drives to your PC in item #1.

What I did in the past, was have the 8000 open next to the PC, unplugged the FDD cable from the 8000 mainboard, and plugged it into the FDADAP. I then connected a cable from the FDADAP to the CC-IV, and powered it. This allowed me to read+write the 8" floppies from the PC to the 8" drives.

It works - I've done it in the past. The 8000 is tucked out of the way in the garage, though, so I can't get to it at present, but it DOES work. I was even able to read SS disks for the Tandy 6000 or 16, forgot which, and image it out.

T

Sharkonwheels:

Someone has asked me for a copy of my original Altos disks for the 5-15.
You mention in the previous post that the drives are double side, quad density.
Does that mean I need DSQD disks to copy them, or can I just use DSDD disks and the copy function will take care of it?
If not, where in the world do you get DSQD disks?
I haven't seen those on Ebay before.

Good DS/DD disks should be fine instead of QD disks; if you can, bulk-erase them if they're formatted, and a second copy's always a good idea...

m

Back