• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga floppy jumper info?

falter

Veteran Member
Hey guys,

I've got an external 'Master 3A1' 3.5" floppy drive that the case appears to be toast on. I took the drive out, hooked it into my A2000 and booted just fine from it. However, I don't know the jumpers to run both drives at the same time. The 'Master' former external drive is a Chinon, however it only has 3 jumper pins vs. what appears to be 5 on the A2000's original drive. No matter which way I jumper the former external drive, it won't work, unless I jumper it pins 1 and 2 and have it as the only floppy.

Anyone know of a manual for this? Perhaps I have to change jumpers on the original floppy instead?

Got it!

Got it!

Hey guys,

I've got an external 'Master 3A1' 3.5" floppy drive that the case appears to be toast on. I took the drive out, hooked it into my A2000 and booted just fine from it. However, I don't know the jumpers to run both drives at the same time. The 'Master' former external drive is a Chinon, however it only has 3 jumper pins vs. what appears to be 5 on the A2000's original drive. No matter which way I jumper the former external drive, it won't work, unless I jumper it pins 1 and 2 and have it as the only floppy.

Anyone know of a manual for this? Perhaps I have to change jumpers on the original floppy instead?

Okay cancel that -- found the problem. I didn't know about a jumper on the mainboard that needed to be set. Now they're both working fine.

I did this set up so I could use the A2000 directly with Amiga explorer to transfer ADF files. Seems to work brilliantly now.

While I was in there I tried to hook up a Quantum 250mb scsi drive to my A2090a hard disk controller. Think it's not working properly though -- the HD led stays on at all times. On examination of the card, I found rust in some of the sockets (not sure where it came from). I did my best to clean and re-seat.. ran the Amiga HD setup disk, which I have. But when it goes to format there's no action/noise from the drive. Just hangs there. Maybe too large? Or probably controller shot I guess.

I did this set up so I could use the A2000 directly with Amiga explorer to transfer ADF files. Seems to work brilliantly now.

Yeah, along with WHDload, Amiga Explorer is probably the most valuable piece of software a modern Amiga owner can get. I spaced that MB jumper for the external FDD. I've only fulled around with an external HDD once, and never had much luck with it.

While I was in there I tried to hook up a Quantum 250mb scsi drive to my A2090a hard disk controller. ... Maybe too large? Or probably controller shot I guess.

I've had a 500 MB hooked up to a 2090 before. They're sort of fickle controllers, though.

Yeah, along with WHDload, Amiga Explorer is probably the most valuable piece of software a modern Amiga owner can get. I spaced that MB jumper for the external FDD. I've only fulled around with an external HDD once, and never had much luck with it.

I've had a 500 MB hooked up to a 2090 before. They're sort of fickle controllers, though.

Yeah I'll say. I was hoping they'd have some sort of test diagnostic to see if the card was actually working. Given the solid HD led, I'm thinking probably not.

Back