• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga model A4000 VGA trouble

Fire-Flare

Experienced Member
We got a Video Toaster in to be recycled but we don't have the proper monitor. We tried buying a VGA adapter with signal generator off Ebay and it doesn't seem to be working either.

We really want to know if this unit still works, is there any other way we can try to get a proper video signal?

The A4000 does not have a composite output natively... You would need the conversion box to go from the RGB port to composite.

The preview output of a Toaster can be used as a display in a pinch, but only after ToasterInit runs...

Well then, it seems this machine is either going to sit in our 'museum' waiting for a compatible monitor, or be sold as a parts unit. :(

Since the output is analog RGB, a Gonbes 8200 or 8220 should be able to upscale the output to a modern monitor. The 8200 is less than $20 on eBay. The 8220 is closer to $40, but allows output to two monitors.

Well then, it seems this machine is either going to sit in our 'museum' waiting for a compatible monitor, or be sold as a parts unit. :(

The Gonbes or any other decent video upscaler will work in a pinch. There are a few 15khz compatible LCDs out there as well.

Nope, it's one of these:
Commodore_Amiga2000_Toaster_s1.jpg

We got a Video Toaster in to be recycled but we don't have the proper monitor.
I don't know which part of Washington you're in, but if you're in southern Washington, you could visit Ray Carlsen. I'm sure he can help you with the RGB/composite monitors he has there.

Other than that, contact Seattle's The Living Computers - Museum + Labs for assistance. Stephen Jones would be the go-to guy for help.

Writing from Portland, Oregon,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

I don't know which part of Washington you're in, but if you're in southern Washington, you could visit Ray Carlsen. I'm sure he can help you with the RGB/composite monitors he has there.

Other than that, contact Seattle's The Living Computers - Museum + Labs for assistance. Stephen Jones would be the go-to guy for help.

Writing from Portland, Oregon,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

We're in Tacoma, I've been to the Living Computer Museum a few times, but it hadn't occurred to me to ask them for assistance. Thanks for the idea!

Perhaps some kind soul with an AGA machine could make a boot disk with the VGAOnly monitor driver on it and mode selected. I'd do it if I had an AGA machine.

Back