• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga OS 3.9 Install Problems

Raven

Veteran Member
More adventures with my A1200.. at least I am learning things by the boatload!

I painstakingly got a set of 3.0 install floppies made by unzipping ADFs from XDOS to RAM and then writing.. I installed 3.0 to my SD<->IDE, then my 3.1 ROMs arrived, so I wanted 3.9.

I stuck my SD card in my PC, booted up WinUAE (set up as close to my real Amiga as possible), and (after finding that I couldn't get it to pick it up as a CD via assigns/etc.), installed 3.9 via emulated CD in WinUAE.

I discovered that installing 3.9 over 3.0 caused some weird crap to happen such as mismatched icons, and so on. I also had only partitioned half of my SD card (had no mouse at the time, for some reason couldn't do more without a real mouse..), and the HDToolBox scared me into thinking it'd wipe my drive anyway if I added partitions (IT LIED! D: ).

So I backed up my stuff to an HDF in WinUAE (so it retained the filesystem structure/etc.), repartitioned the card on my Amiga, and installed 3.9 in WinUAE again. This time it was much better.

Everything went well, customizing, installing, using, etc.. Then I installed AmiSSL and everything went to hell. It has nothing to do with AmiSSL, it's something with my startup-sequence and user-startup, but I get tons of "Recoverable" errors on boot. After booting with no startup-sequence and commenting out user-startup I was able to boot and edit things using micro emacs (editpad now refuses to run, and so does amidock, citing missing gadgets and libraries which are clearly present), but only after clicking through some errors. No matter what I change, I have been unsuccessful in fixing this, even replacing the scripts with known-good clean ones. Beyond that, even when it boots things don't all work right.

I've come to the conclusion that installing the OS in WinUAE is not a good idea, even though I've seen lots of others do it in various posts with no issues..

So now I come to a crossroads with my Amiga in limbo - how do I get OS 3.9 on there without it being screwy? I don't have a CD-ROM for it.. I've read that by appending an "a" to certain arguments in an installer script I can make it look at ASSIGNs - would that work for OS 3.9? I could buy a cheap PCMCIA<->CF or PCMCIA<->SD adapter and shove the OS 3.9 files on that (to avoid "tainting" my SD), assign, and install from that, if so.. CD-ROM drives cost way too much, however, for an A1200, at least what is available at this time..

It surely sounds like AmiSSL did something funky while installing. It's been 12 years since I've touched OS3.9 though but I also had a ton of issues with it. I upgraded from 3.9 back to 3.1 then and stayed with it since. Is setpatch running ok?

I think it's throwing some of the errors, but they come from so many places I couldn't track them all down. I've pretty much resigned myself to reinstalling, and ATM I'm thinking my best bet is to try to hunt down a CD-ROM solution...?

Is there any reason that WinUAE shouldn't be used for installing things/copying files over/etc.? I've heard conflicting things about it writing "differently" than your physical Amiga (and I do mean *your*, unique to every Amiga's HW configuration) and things saying that it's fine...

Amiga 1200 (Commodore-Branded, UK version, original PSU w/ converter)
ACA1232 Accelerator (68030@33, 128MB RAM)
RTC Module (attached to accelerator)
Indivision AGA Mk2
SD->IDE adapter w/ 8GB card (partitioned into 4x1.8GB, FastFileSystem)

Nothing else nonstandard on the inside.

IIRC the second install was from a 3.0 Workbench disk, but was to a clean drive - dunno if that could still cause problems, though. Will make some 3.1 disks and see how that goes when I get some time.

Back