• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amstrad CPC6128 help needed...

Retro-Mania

Greetings everyone

Can anyone help me with what appears to be a temperamental disk drive on my Amstrad CPC6128 please? It reads some but not all of the disks I have. Does it need te head cleaning or is it out of alignment perhaps? If it is, how do I re-align it? I have a head cleaner disk with cleaning fluid but do not have anything for re-aligning the drive heads.

I would appreciate some help!

Thanks and Regards

Neil.

Yep, I would do one or two 30 second disk cleaning rounds myself. If you have some available diskettes, I usually go for a few "formats" just for grins after letting it dry for a few. I have several drives that work fine after you "warm them up" (i.e. keep accessing the drive for minutes at a crack). It will then read and boot great, until you let it sit around again.

99% of the time the problem with these Amstrad drives is a dodgy drive belt. You can still get them - I got mine from a chap on one of the Amstrad 8-bit newsgroups.

@ dongfeng

Thanks for the advice. Do you have a contact email address for the chap you mentioned? Or could you point me to the thread please? Also, what is involved in replacing the drive belt? It sounds a bit complicated!
Thanks
Neil.

Back