• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another new SD drive?

azog

Experienced Member
Has anyone seen these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C64-SD-card...ce-Commodore-computers-1541-emu-/111044233815

It's Yet Another SD Adapter For Commodore, but there's not a lot of technical details about it. I don't know if it is based on the sd2iec firmware that the rest of them use, or it is a whole new implementation? The sd2iec firmware seems pretty robust, it is used in other implementations, and seems well supported. This particular one only supports drives 8 and 9, which makes me think it might be custom. I don't really need another SD adapter, but it is a very handsome case, which is probably what caught my eye in the first place.

The seller is from Hungary, so I did some googling. Only found one mention in English of a new SD adaptor for the C64. This post contains some screenshots.

I emailed the seller... he's not willing to post websites as he's afraid that ebay will kill his account. He did post a picture of the internals for me, however - it looks quite nice. Not sure if I wanna drop $70 on it, or just get an HxC for more universal use.

Err.. don't sd2iec and HxC operate in different parts of the vintage computer universe? Can you hook up a HxC to a 8-bit Commodore computer? As for the price, $58 + shipping for a boxed unit doesn't look too bad, if it indeed works like your run of the mill sd2iec compatible unit. I seem to recall that NKC sd2iec is like $45 for the board itself, the uIEC/SD which has a little bigger ATmega for future improvements is $50 IIRC.

Edit: Ok, the HxC has experimental support for D81 images and thus should be possible to interface to a 8-bit computer.

My bad - It's been quite awhile since I last checked, but I thought that HxC had added 8-bit Commodore support. Oops!

So far as this unit, here's some additional info that the seller sent me:

The hardware is based on sd2iec with some changes.
The firmware is last version.
All information found on Internet. (use Google).

Some information my website:
Compatible: C64, C128, C16, C+4, C64DTV.
Commodore 1541 floppy drive emulation, adjustable device id (8-9).
It can be linked with an other floppy drive, can be copied from D64 to floppy and also from floppy to SD card.
The D64 files can be organized in file lists, in which, by switching the buttons on the panel back and forth, they can be loaded in the file as actual D64 file "floppy disk", automatic loading option.
It operates with many fastloader programs and also supports Turbo Disk (v2.2), so the actual loading takes 8-10 times less time.
D64/D71/D81/M2I/PRG/P00 support.
Manages subdirectories even from CLI.
Turbo Disk, Fast Load, Speeddisk, JiffyDos, Final Cartridge 3, Dreamload, Exos support, SJLoad
Disk "change" fuction (by pressing the button).
FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 SD and SDHC card support.
IEC standard compatibility (LOAD, SAVE, OPEN, GET, PUT, CLOSE, ...).
This drive work with all C64 games (single games and after loader games), except the fastloader games.
But you can use SJLoad, Turbo22, Jiffydos for fast loading.

Best Regards, Norbert

Back