• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another PET 2001-8 nneds help with video

Moondog

Experienced Member
A couple of years ago a cousin passed away, and I inherited a bunch of his old computers and video equipment.

Anyways, in the collection was a Pet 2001-8 that looked like it was stored in a garage or barn. It's a bit dusty, but no signs of corrosion. The tape drive needs new belts, however from what I've been able to tell is the character rom, a 6540-10, is defective. I swapped the video memory with main memory, no change. I pulled the character rom and got the same screen as I found on a troubleshooting site. I even popped in one of the other 6540's and got the expected gibberish display.

My question is where can I get an already burned 6540-10 replacement? There was someone selling an adapter board for use with a more common rom, however it appears it's no longer being sold, and I'd rather buy a drop in solution because I have no other need for an eprom burner or other resources needed to build my own adapter.

If anyone knows where I can find a complete character rom replacement, that would be awesome.

A couple of years ago a cousin passed away, and I inherited a bunch of his old computers and video equipment.

Anyways, in the collection was a Pet 2001-8 that looked like it was stored in a garage or barn. It's a bit dusty, but no signs of corrosion. The tape drive needs new belts, however from what I've been able to tell is the character rom, a 6540-10, is defective. I swapped the video memory with main memory, no change. I pulled the character rom and got the same screen as I found on a troubleshooting site. I even popped in one of the other 6540's and got the expected gibberish display.

My question is where can I get an already burned 6540-10 replacement? There was someone selling an adapter board for use with a more common rom, however it appears it's no longer being sold, and I'd rather buy a drop in solution because I have no other need for an eprom burner or other resources needed to build my own adapter.

If anyone knows where I can find a complete character rom replacement, that would be awesome.

Hello!
I have designed adapters for 6540 ROMs and 6550 RAMs myself. I can give you the gerbers to order the PCBs yourself or provide a built and tested one, but that will be expensive mostly because of shipping to oversea.
If you can program a 2716 EPROM, there're adapters sold here:
https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/PET/c/28756047/offset=0&sort=nameAsc

Sometimes you find original 6540-xx ROMs on ebay, I've sold one myself some years ago, but these are not very common things to find.
Some forum members might have some in stock too.
HTH
Frank IZ8DWF

Thank you for the information and advice. I've seen some of your videos of Youtube, and found them to be very useful.

Back