• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Antivirus Ms-Dos 3.30

aesis

Experienced Member
Hi guys,sorry for this new thread..
As some of you know well that I have a clone IBM 8088 640kb RAM and CGA video card,I'm looking for a good antivirus of the era for MS-DOS 3.30 can you tell me where I can find it?
Thank you all for your attention!! :eek:

You probably want something a little later than that if possible. There were a lot of DOS viruses in the early 90s. Supposedly "McAfee VirusScan for DOS 3.0.3" (07-15-97) is the last for DOS 3.x, but it doesn't say what the minimum CPU requirement is. If that doesn't work, "McAfee VirusScan for DOS 2.5.4" (02-03-97) might work better - those are both posted over at Vetusware.

Im running FProt 3.16f on my dosbox + real k6 box.

apparently its def files are from 2008

(run f-prot.exe /virno and it spits out lots of info).

dont know if this works on 8088 tho.

it proects dos/exe, java, palmos, ini, batch, pif, unix, php, ami (amiga?), script, irc, word/excel... so quite a lot even for dos.
(the fprot def database files are 17mb lol)

Last edited:
The last version of the F-prot which works in 8088/8086 is the 2.27a with the latest definitions of 1997. Starting from version 3.x, they need at least a 386.

I'd recommend F-Prot 2.27a for your XT clone.

Question. If I use modern computer to download and unzip files, does that provide adequate protect of my vintage computers that are not networked? I always though it did, but want other opinions.

Question. If I use modern computer to download and unzip files, does that provide adequate protect of my vintage computers that are not networked? I always though it did, but want other opinions.
I've had "modern" virus scanners detect very old DOS and boot sector viruses in zipped disk images. But more often they give false positives from heuristic analysis of crappy DOS code. So while you are usually safe, it can be handy to have a DOS-based scanner laying around just to be sure. The DOS based scanners will also usually be the only ones that know how to properly clean and remove the old DOS viruses.

Im running FProt 3.16f on my dosbox + real k6 box.

apparently its def files are from 2008

(run f-prot.exe /virno and it spits out lots of info).

dont know if this works on 8088 tho.

it proects dos/exe, java, palmos, ini, batch, pif, unix, php, ami (amiga?), script, irc, word/excel... so quite a lot even for dos.
(the fprot def database files are 17mb lol)

Thanks for info Bloody

The last version of the F-prot which works in 8088/8086 is the 2.27a with the latest definitions of 1997. Starting from version 3.x, they need at least a 386.

I'd recommend F-Prot 2.27a for your XT clone.

Thanks,where can I find the 2.27a version?

On Vetus there is only 3.16...

Found Version 2.27a to dcee.

What's the best between McAfee or F-Prot?

Thanks for all friends!! ;)

Well, I used to write viruses. TBAV would be one of the better anti virus programs, FProt up there.. I dont really rank them after that as far as DOS AntiVirus goes, back in the day. Scan+Clean were absolute crap next to Central Point AV/Microsoft AV, Norton AV, et al. Someone running 'scan' was a massive infection vector, it did exactly what you wanted, opened every single executable file, it was like sending your virus to an all you could eat buffet. If you have a virus in memory, things like Scan were one of the worst things you could run (tho, most AV operated in the same manner).

McAfee ability to detect polymorphic encryption and so on was very very weak. As soon as the world moved from fixed bytecode detection to algorithmic detection, they fell behind, also the sheer number of stuff that came out overwhelmed them. Algorithmic detection was the #1 defence. McAfee always relied too heavily on fixed bytecode detection.

oh the things we kids did when we were young eh!

I tried F-Prot 2.27 from the hard drive and it does not work, it tells me that I have to insert the entire program on a clean floppy disk and then run it from the floppy.

The problem is that my pc reads only floppy from 720 and the whole program is 1.4MB, I tried on older DCEE F-Prot but there are not.

Hi guys,I need a big help!!

I've tried both F-prot and Avscan and both give me this kind of warning,this is an AVSCAN warning below but the same thing happened to me with F-PROT:

"The program file of AVSCAN has MODIFIED as this might result of virus operations the CPU has been HALTED,to continue you have to iusse a HARDWARE RESET. Replace the corrupted program file of AVSCAN with a valid copy from the!! WRITE PROTECTED!! Avscan original disk!!"

The problem that the PC hangs and you have to restart the system, it also happens on F-Prot loaded with config.sys !!

I took these files on DCEE but I do not think this is a problem .., how can I solve it?

Back