• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any tips for insuring a vintage computer and video game collection?

wowbobwow

Experienced Member
My collection of vintage computers, video games, software, and accessories has grown to a considerable degree since I started as a kid in the '90s. Given the booming popularity of this hobby, I'm shocked by how much the resale value of many formerly-commonplace items (or just obscure things that few people used to care about) has skyrocketed. I'm not a reseller and I only purchase items for my personal enjoyment (and/or to be featured in my family's Retro Roadshow pop-up museum events), but I live in an area that's known to have earthquakes, and the future is always unpredictable. In some cases, purchasing a replacement would vastly exceed my financial resources, and in a few select cases, I'm not sure I would even be able to find one to purchase if needed (i.e., I have a working BeBox computer, which is nearly unobtainable now).

Given the above, I'm really interested in insuring my collection. I'm a renter and thus don't have a homeowners policy which would cover my collection, and from what I can tell, a typical homeowners policy wouldn't come close to offering an appropriate amount of financial coverage even if I did have it.

I'm working on a comprehensive database in Google Sheets which contains the details of my collection, including (where possible) how much I paid for something, how much it's selling for on eBay recently, etc. I think I understand that most insurance policies for collectables require that a professional appraiser provides an appraisal, but hopefully my "DIY" guide will be a useful source of documentation.

Have any of you pursued an appraisal and insurance for your collection? If yes, can you share any tips / tricks / suggestions on how I should proceed here?

Thanks for any info you can share,

Huxley

Type in "Renter's Insurance" into a search engine. Your first few links will give you well known companies that want to sell you insurance. Call/email and tell them what you want to insure and for how much. Get their estimate. Repeat a couple of times. Good luck.

Back