• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody Need A S-100 Mainframe OR Project Enclosure?

MicrocomputerSolutions

Veteran Member
I just got back from picking up the stuff that was advertised as a Garage Cleanout/Recycling Bin Save. I can believe it took all day. Was supposed to be a quick out in back. Planned on 90 minute drive over, 60 minutes there, and 90 minute drive back. 4 hours total. Left the house at like 9:30am, and got back just before 6:00pm, after stopping for a late lunch. Heavy traffic, and bad directions from MapQuest did it. 90 minutes to unpack the car and find a place to stack it in the house. And now, it's 8:30pm.

Planned on looking for 8" floppy drives to overhaul and use for parts for my business, and came home with much more than I planned. I don't have the space to store a lot of this stuff, so it's sitting in the front entrance in my home.

The following stuff is available inexpensively (or some stuff is give away if you show up in person to look and can use it).

I do not recognize the manufacturer of the Mainframes and power supplies. All of these were made by the same company. They are commercial made production units, I just don't know who made them. I have not plugged any of these units in (yet) to see whether the power supplies are any good. The price will be lower if I don't do any work on them.

(1) Mainframe with drive bays for (2) vertical 8" full height floppy drives. Drives are mounted on the right(I have never seen this before), and 6-slot card cage with vertical card slots in on the left (when looking fro/at the front). Ventilation fan on rear with metal mesh filter. Fuseholder built into power socket. (2) ac power jacks in rear. Plenty of RS-232 punchouts, plus punchouts for 50-pin drive cable and centronics parallel port. Power supply for S-100 boards plus floppy drives. Includes cover/top.

(1) Mainframe with drive bays for (2) vertical 8" full height floppy drives. Drives are mounted on the right, and factory 6-slot card cage with vertical card slots has been replaced with a 12-slot card cage whuch hilds the board horizontal. I think I saw a CCS (California Computer Systems) trademark on the motherboard. 12-slot card cage is lighter gauge/thinner metal that the rest of the box, and while well-made, might be a homemade part. Mounted to the left of the drives when looking from/at the front. Ventilation fan on rear with metal mesh filter. Fuseholder built into power socket. (2) ac power jacks in rear. Plenty of RS-232 punchouts, (16?) plus punchouts for 50-pin drive cable and centronics parallel port. Power supply for S-100 boards plus floppy drives. Includes cover/top.

(1) Mainframe with drive bays for (2) vertical 8" full height floppy drives. Drives are mounted on the right, and factory 6-slot card cage. THIS IS AN INCOMPLETE MAINFRAME WITH SHEETMETAL ONLY. NO MOTHERBOARD, NO POWER SUPPLY, NO FRONT PANEL, AND NO COVER. Includes mounting plate (with three full wave rectifiers mounted) for power supply and mounting plate for floppy drives. Nothing on the rear panel except for punchouts. Holes for ventilation fan, fuseholder, (2) ac power jacks, plenty of RS-232 punchouts, (16?) plus punchouts for 50-pin drive cable and centronics parallel port. Same sheetmetal as 6-slot mainframe described above.

(1) Mainframe with 22-slot cardcage. 18-slot motherboard is marked Vector Electronics. Vector Electronics licensed to built some of the older Compupro designed boards and even used the same circuit board manufacturer that Compupro used. The only difference between Vector Electronics licensed Compupro board, and Compupro boards is the silkscreened company name and location on the boards. Appears to be a Compupro motherboard, has a Compupro style power connector, but as far as I know, Compupro never sold a 18-slot motherboard. I believe that Compupro used the #155 model number on 12-slot motherboards Non-IEEE components. Silkscreen is in white, Compupro (this is the earlier Non-IEEE 20-slot motherboard) has used yellow for silkscreen markings for as long as I have known. Card cage with normal side to side board positioning inside case. Ventilation fan on rear with metal mesh filter. Fuseholder built into power socket. (2) ac power jacks in rear. Plenty of RS-232 punchouts (12), plus punchouts for 50-pin drive cable and Centronics parallel port. Power supply for S-100. Includes cover/top.

(1) Mainframe with 22-slot cardcage, (NO MOTHERBOARD), card cage with normal side to side board positioning inside of case. No ventilation fan on rear, No fuseholder built into power socket. No ac power jacks (holes for (2) in rear. Plenty of RS-232 punchouts (12), plus punchouts for 50-pin drive cable and Centronics parallel port. Plate for power supply is included (three full wave rectifiers mounted). Includes a unpainted cover/top. Same sheetmetal as complete mainframe described above.

(1) Drive Enclosure top/cover. Nothing else. Appears to be from a Lobo OR JMR drive cabinet/enclosure. Very thin gauge metal. Not sure which as there are any markings. Anybody need a lid? If not, it's going into the recycling bin.

Got a few S-100 boards that I won't sell through my regular business, as they are not Compupro boards. Jade Z-80 CPU board, what might be a Jade floppy controller board, some Tanner 64K Static Ram Boards, and a brand new Tanner BARE BOARD Static 64K Ram Board.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, let me know and I can email you some photos of the item/s you are interested in. Figure out what you are willing to pay, and PM me.
Acceptable price will be lower if you are picking up, and I am not looking for a box big enough to fit and enough packing peanuts to fill the box up.

Last edited:
Hi All;

Micro, I would be interested in the Tanner Boards..
I don't know what Part of the Country You live in, since Your posting doesn't say..

THANK YOU Marty

I'm in SoCal.

No problems shipping boards to you, if that's all you need. If you are interested in one of more of the S-100 mainframes, you would have to pay (if I can't find a free one) to have a box made, or for a commercial box (if I can find a company that sells the right stock size).

There are three Tanner 64K static boards.

One is a bagged bare circuit board. Beautiful made board, fully silkscreened and solder-masked.

One is a hand-soldered board that is fully populated board with silkscreen and solder-mask.

One is a hand-soldered board that is partially populated (missing some TTL, all memory chips are there). Curiously, the board seems to be missing chips the same ones that are missing on the display/sample board on the S100 computers website. No solder-mask or silkscreen.

The two built Tanner memory boards were found in the Fulcrum/IMSAI 8080 mainframe. They have not been tested. All of the rest of the S-100 in the system were Compupro boards. I'm tempted to drop everything else, go ahead and pull the boards to test the power supply, and try to boot the system up.

Michael

Hi All;

Micro, If the price isn't too outrageous I would be glad to take all three, I live in Boulder Colorado..
Do You take PayPal ??
I'LL try and Send You a Personal Message with my Address..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Three Tanner/DRC 64K Static Ram Memory boards mentioned (two built and one bare board) have been sold and shipped.

Still have three more in the Fulcrum/IMSAI I-8080, but I am go to hold on to them until I test the Fulcrum to see if it runs, and determine whether I can sub in some Compupro memory boards in place of the Tanner/DRC memory boards.

I am definitely interested in 1 or 2 of the mainframes. I am local to you and will send a PM.

-Wayne

AVAILABILITY UPDATE

Mainframe with 22-slot cardcage and 18-slot motherboard with power supply has been sold.

Mainframe with Dual 8" floppy drive bays and 12-slot cardcage with power supply has been sold

Mainframe with 22-slot cardcage (sheetmetal only) has been sold.

JADE BIG-Z processor board, and JADE DD Disk Controller board with cables have been sold.

(1) Compupro Drive Enclosure with "Power One" power supply now available. Older, deeper enclosure designed for two 8" full height drives (which are longer then newer 1/2 height 8" floppy drives). Newer, 1/2 height 8" floppy drives will fit, and there are adapters available to fit 5.25" drives in the two 8" drive bays (extra cost). "Power One" power supply is installed in place of Compupro floppy drive power supply and supports older 8" floppy drives that need a Negative Voltage Source, in addition to 5V+ and 24V+ voltages.

AVAILABILITY UPDATE

Mainframe with Dual 8" floppy drive bays and 6-slot motherboard with power supply is still available.

Bare Mainframe Chassis with Dual 8" floppy drive bays, 6-slot cardcage, and mounting plates for 8" drives, and power supply is still available.

Compupro Drive Enclosure with "Power One" power supply is still available.

Back