• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone get a Gotek Floppy emulator working on a kaypro system?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I see the HXC 2000 has been installed to kaypro systems (models 2 or 4), But has anyone done it with a gotek floppy emulator? I know people have gotten the gotek working on the osborne 1. If you flashed a gotek with the HXC firmware would it be possible?

Would appreciate any insight into this.

Reactions: D2-
Yes, A friend of mine just tried it out.
Wasn't HxC but FlashFloppy, but basically the same.

Worked

You might want to take a look at this from "Joe's Computer Museum" on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2C4geiF7Q

This describes his work with a Kaypro 1, but probably works for any of the early Kaypros. I think he uses a Lotharek SD card emulator with the HxC2001 firmware. The gotek/USB should work with the HxC2001 flashed - but the HxC software from what I can see is read-only for the USB version.

Reactions: D2-
(wanders in 3 years later):

Yes, it works.

Kaypro 4/83, Gotek using the HxC firmware. None of the hardware upgrades like OLED, piezo, rotary switch, etc. Gotek in Drive A. Had a friend 3D print a bracket / adapter to cover the full-drive bay. I did have to solder on headers onto the gotek to install the HxC firmware.

Used the original kaypro no-twist cable, and bought a 34-pin adapter which I added so I didn't need a pin-to-card-edge adapter. Scrounged a power adapter.

Built a USB stick under dos/windows.
Added the 'Indexed' config file.
Used the HxCFloppyEmulator to migrate a CP/M 2.2 disk image for my K4 into DSKA0001.hfe on that memory stick.

Booting the Kaypro with that USB device plugged in, display went HxC, then 000.
Pressed buttons to 001. It booted.

Now I'm off to figure out what support exists for other drive configs, load the mem stick up with a ton of old images, etc. And maybe I'll do some of those hardware upgrades to the Gotek.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back