• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone have a Zenith Data Systems Superport 286?

subrosian

I've noticed that information on the Zenith Data Systems Superport 286 is severely lacking online. I'm guessing that there aren't many left in running condition due to capacitor/hdd issues. I'm gathering all of the hours of research and trial/error I've done to release online in one place but one thing in particular that I'm looking for is a later revision BIOS. I purchased the only two laptops available on eBay, but they both have the original Revision 1 BIOS. I've purchased an EEPROM programmer and ripped that BIOS (and did a diff to confirm that both laptops had the same version). The only other ROM I found online was for the Supersport 286e, but when putting that on my laptop, it didn't post.

Anyways, I'm hoping to find someone that has a Superport 286 that can do one of the following:
1) Rip your BIOS and send me the files (I can walk you through it if needed).
2) Let me borrow your laptop so I can back-up the BIOS (I'll pay 2-way shipping)
3) Sell me your laptop (I really don't want to do this as I already have two)

I'm gathering the information on my Github (https://github.com/Subrosian/zenith-supersport-286) until it is finalized, then I will put on archive.org.

Last edited:
My Supersport 286 is broken, sadly. Tested it just a few days ago. Doesn't even turn on any longer.

How do you know that this is "Revision 1"?
I cannot find a revision indicator in the BIOS code.
Something on the ROM stickers perhaps.

The only way I know for sure is it is written on the sticker covering the roms. My laptops have 444-671-1 and 444-672-1 where the -1 is the revision.

What is in the later revision BIOS? BTW there is one more in the UK.

I found a few posts talking about -5 and later roms existing that have better large HDD support. I'm not sure what else as I can't find any official list. I really am hoping to not buy another one, expecially since I have no idea if it will be another -1.

My Supersport 286 is broken, sadly. Tested it just a few days ago. Doesn't even turn on any longer.

If you are good taking it apart, you can physically look at the roms to see what versions they are. You can also look at the state of the capacitors on the power supply as that is likely what is dead. I'm compiling a list of caps replacements that could likely resurrect it if you are good with through-hole soldering.

Zenith systems of that era had more the just a normal bios. A Rom Monitor that carried out more functions then what you would have on the usual x86 system.

Pics in my Zenith 286LP Plus desktop system thread- https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/zenith-data-systems-model-zcv-251-ec.41103/#post-500224

Yep!

If you are good taking it apart, you can physically look at the roms to see what versions they are. You can also look at the state of the capacitors on the power supply as that is likely what is dead. I'm compiling a list of caps replacements that could likely resurrect it if you are good with through-hole soldering.
No issue with that, but with time. Wanting to fix it for many, many years. Originally, it would still turn on but not boot from hard disk. Now it's even worse after all those years. :( Maybe I can find just enough time to get a look at the main pcb.

I have added the ROM images to the collection at [here].

Awesome, thanks! I'll let you know if I find others.

No issue with that, but with time. Wanting to fix it for many, many years. Originally, it would still turn on but not boot from hard disk. Now it's even worse after all those years. :( Maybe I can find just enough time to get a look at the main pcb.

That would be cool if you could. Let me know if I can be of any help!

I purchased another one from eBay, Rev "C" board with the same -1 ROMs. At this point, I'm hoping that other people can chime in and help with theirs, so I don't have to buy any more.

I have a Zenith Z-Star 433vl that also has bad capacitors in it. The laptop powers on and works fine, but it smells like dead fish. If your model is similar, then you probably have brown United Chemicon LXF series capacitors that need replacement. Fortunately, the "power" PCB in the 433vl is on a separate removable board, so I could remove the capacitors more easily. If your laptop has a similar "power" PCB, it might be worth a shot.

I have a SupersPORT 286, won't power on, fully disassembled and awaiting caps replacement the PSU board. Let me know if you still need any info that can provide from visual inspection, photos etc.

Zombie thread revival. I got my SupersPORT286 running again a while ago. It was just the power supply and backlight that were bad.

Back