• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone know how much watts do AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs consume in turbo boost?

computerdude92

Veteran Member
I was reading about how modern day Intel and AMD cpus have two thermal ratings.

As an example, the AMD Ryzen 7 7700X has a TDP of 105 watts and a PPT limit of 142 watts. PPT is Package Power Tracking.

I remember that AMD Bulldozer was the first AMD CPU to have something called Turbo Boost, or whatever it's called.

I am still using a Bulldozer core AMD Opteron system and I am concerned about my CPU consuming too much power. I can't find any data online about how much extra watts my CPU generates in turbo mode.

My CPU is the Opteron 6262HE. It has a base clock of 1.6GHz, Full Load Turbo speed of 2.1GHz, and Half Load Turbo speed of 2.9GHz. I found this data on Wikipedia.

I have no need for Turbo Boost and I wish I could disable it so my Opteron always stays at 1.6GHz. I am a light computer user and have no need nor desire for the extra speeds. I just want my CPU to be well cooled and safe.

I also wonder if there is any software that can tell how many watts my CPU is pulling during turbo states.

Thank you very much for any answers.

Last edited:
Phenom II X6 had a 'turbo' feature. IIRC that was before Bulldozer.

Usually you can turn off the feature in the BIOS. (look for "core performance boost" or something like that.) But that doesn't mean your CPU will always run at 1.6GHz. There are as many as 8 different performance states on these CPUs. Turning off the 'turbo' will disable the highest speeds, but it can also go lower than the 1.6GHz base clock. This is normally controlled by the OS, based on CPU load.

Whether the CPU consumes "extra watts" in turbo mode or not is not a clear question. It stays within the chip's rated power limit either way. The whole point of having extra speed that is available sometimes but not always, is so you can go as fast as possible without exceeding the limits of the power supply or CPU cooler.

The overclocking all core turbos that skyrocket power are a relatively new thing. Having a high efficiency processor does preclude very high power draws mostly because the intended cases didn't have the cooling to deal with that. I expect that the power draw at 2.9 GHz will be about 60 watts. If you have any type of power meter including the relatively inaccurate ones in many UPSes, you could see the actual power draw in various operations and decide if the consumption is excessive.

Typical computer use will only involve a few cores and the rest will be sleeping. If you have the cooling to run all the cores at normal speeds, you should have no problem with any turbo. 1.6 GHz does seem like it would be slow with any webpage that has complicated javascript.

Back