• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone remember minix for 8088?

mdh

Experienced Member
Can’t remember if there’s one that worked with any protected mode processors, but I remember the Minix book and the tons of floppies used to boot it / install it.

AFAIK Minix 1 and 2 were not protected mode at all. Out of the box, 1 and 2 had no memory protection, that's how it worked on the 8088. Minix 3 might use those features though.

Tanenbaum has said, "MINIX 1 and MINIX 3 are related in the same way as Windows 3.1 and Windows XP are: same first name"

Minix 1.5 came out for 68k Atari, Apple, Amiga as well as SPARC and x86. Minix 2 was only x86, SPARC and someone else wrote Minix 2 for VMD. Minix 2 supported X Windows, Minix 1 didn't.

The two installation floppies ROOT.MNX and USR.MNX, can be combined on a 1.2 Mb or 1.44 Mb diskette. MINIX.MNX is about 52 MB.
I remember the first time I met someone installing linux. It was Yggdrasill ('96?) and it was on something like 12 floppies. I thought that ridiculous. I waited until Debian 2.0 on CD, which was the very first bootable linux CD.

Minix 1 did not run/use protected mode in any processor out of the box. There was a 386 Minix patch that changed that to protected mode for version 1.5. Minix 2 would work in protected mode with the 286 up. With the 286, it would still be limited by segmentation. Minix 3 only runs on Pentium+ Protected Mode.

They are all available on the net and are now under a 3-Clause BSD license. I have just about every version and book produced. PM me if you need help locating the software.

Back