• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple clone ROM cards (z80+64k)

David_M

Veteran Member
I have three Apple clone boards that lack the ROM card they need to operate. They are the type of board that has a 16k RAM card and Z80 included on the motherboard and due to a lack of motherboard space used a modified slot 0 designed to accept a custom ROM card. The cards were typically populated with a 2764 in socket 1 and a 2732 in socket 2. Sometimes they used 2732's in sockets 1 through 3. Socket 0 was never populated because the select lines don't go anywhere.

Because my boards are essentially useless without the cards I plan to have some made. I can get 10 made with a HASL finish at minimal cost but if there is enough interest from others that need them I will consider getting them made with a gold plated edge connector.

Untitled-1.jpg

To be clear these will not work in real Apples of any kind or in a clone other than the type with a built in Z80 CPU and 64K onboard.

Not sure why you would want to; some guy is selling one on fleaBay for 50 bucks. Otherwise wirewrap one with blank proto board will still cost less than have boards made.

Not sure why you would want to; some guy is selling one on fleaBay for 50 bucks. Otherwise wirewrap one with blank proto board will still cost less than have boards made.

Well because I need three of them not one.
$50 a board is a lot more expensive than getting the boards run.
Getting boards run will also be cheaper than buying 3 prototyping boards.
There is significantly more effort involved hand wiring 3 prototype boards.
Getting boards run will result in a neater and less fault prone end result.
It will ultimately be easier to sell the mainboards if they come with a professionally made ROM card than with a hand wired prototype.

The reason I posted this was simply to help others that might have mainboards that lack their ROM cards. It costs me the same to run ten boards as it will one or three, so I'm making the offer but either way I plan to proceed.

The boards arrived today, assembled one and it works fine.
If anyone needs one, dont pay $50 on ebay. I have extra's because getting 10 done cost the same as three.
Bare board $7.50 including postage.

Back