• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple DOS 3.3 Utilities disk?

ahm

Staff member
When I bought my first Apple "Disk ][" floppy drive, it came with two diskettes:
an "Apple DOS 3.3 Master" and an "Apple DOS 3.3 Utilities".

Does anyone have a (reasonably original) image of the Utilities disk?

Thanks,
Andy

Hi,
can you remember what kind of programs ( names ) were on the utilities disk, o.k., "utilities", but that does not help me, I had purchased my first Apple II Europlus in July 1980 with disk controller and one disk drive, but cannot remember a utilities disk. in 1980 there were 13 sector disks and disk controllers, they had to be upgraded, the controller via PROM exchange, the 13-sector disks needed a pre-boot BASICS disk to run on a 16-sector disk drive/controller combo. I would like to help if I knew what the utilities disk contained.
Yours Karl-Heinz

Hallo Karl-Heinz,

So, it might have been different in Europe.
Here in the USA, I'm pretty sure we got 2 diskettes with our Disk ][ drive.

I can't quite remember what was on the Utilities disk, which is why I'm looking for it. :)
There might have been some demo programs on it.
Maybe one with a little man who walked across the screen.
And jumping frog?

Thanks,
Andy

I'll take a look when I get home. I know I have a complete set of Apple IIc disks, and I'm pretty sure that's one of 'em.

When I bought my first Apple "Disk ][" floppy drive, it came with two diskettes:
an "Apple DOS 3.3 Master" and an "Apple DOS 3.3 Utilities".

Does anyone have a (reasonably original) image of the Utilities disk?
I'm pretty sure Apple never shipped a disk with a file called "HELLO DOS (PRONTO-DOS)" or "PATCH (DIVERSI-DOS 4-C)." CiderPress (http://ciderpress.sourceforge.net) can convert the .sdk to a .dsk. But you probably want to keep looking for that utilities disk...

My Apple //e and Disk ][ floppies

My Apple //e and Disk ][ floppies

When I got my Apple //e and a Disk ][ drive, I got three disks, DOS 3.3 System Master, DOS 3.3 Sample Programs, and Apple Presents...Apple:

800_Apple2_DOS3.3_System_Master.jpg800_Apple2_DOS3.3_Sample_Programs.jpg800_Apple2_Apple_Presents...Apple.jpg

The sample programs disk has some utility like programs on it, but mostly it's some demonstrations:

HELLO
APPLESOFT
LOADER.OBJ0
FPBASIC
INTBASIC
ANIMALS
APPLEVISION
PHONE LIST
BRICK OUT
COLOR TEST
EXEC DEMO
RANDOM
APPLE PROMS
ADDRESS
ONERR DEMO
LOCKED.UP.1
LOCKED.UP.2
LOCK.ME.1
DELETE.ME.1
DELETE.ME.2
DELETE.ME.3
VERIFY.ME
POKER
MAKE TEXT
GET TEXT

The APPLEVISION program is Integer BASIC and it starts with "BOB BISHOP PRESENTS ... APPLEVISION" on a TV drawn in a room then plays a figure dancing and music. Could that be the man on the screen you remember?

Jim

Last edited:
disks listed in manuals

disks listed in manuals

Just checked my manuals. The DOS User's Manual copyright 1983 says:

The DOS Disks

The disk labeled DOS 3.3 SYSTEM MASTER contains the DOS programs that manage disks and their files. When you use the SYSTEM MASTER, the commands and capabilities of DOS are added to the other computing capabilities that are already available with your Apple II computer.

The disk labeled DOS 3.3 SAMPLE PROGRAMS contains demonstration programs. You will use this disk to learn the DOS commands outlined in this manual.

In addition, the SAMPLE PROGRAMS disk contains examples of BASIC programs. For the most part, only a person who is writing BASIC programs will want to look at them.

I also have an older manual The DOS Manual, copyright 1980 and 1981. It lists the parts in "your Disk II system":

1) The disk drive (the main box).
2) A printed-circuit card (the controller card) that plugs into the Apple II.
3) A flat ribbon cable, already fastened to the disk drive, for connecting the disk drive to the controller card.
4) A "SYSTEM MASTER" diskette.
5) A "BASICS" diskette.
6) This manual.

I can't remember when ProDOS was released, but there's more years between these two manuals and after these manuals for there to have been different releases.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies.

I got my Apple ][+ system in the early eighties.
So the DOS 3.3 Master disk I remember is the on from 1980,
which still has COLOR DEMOSOFT and BRIAN'S THEME on it.
APPLEVISION is on there too, so that's not the little man I was thinking of.

I wonder what was on that BASICS disk.
Was there a demo called MAXWELL?

Ahm,

The BASICS disk was a pre-boot to allow you to boot a 13-sector disk using a 16-sector controller. There was nothing else on it.

Dutch

Hello,
the BASICS disk was a way to start DOS 3.2.1 e.g. software that was on 13-sector disks. At first there were 13-sector-disks with about 128KB RAM. You had to exchange a PROM on the controller card and plug a tiny label with a white 16 on red ground onto the disk controller to make clear for everyone that this controller is for booting 16-sector disks ( 143KB ) from now on. If you had 13-sector-disks that you did not want to transfer you could use the BASICS disk to pre-boot your system and then run the 13-sector disks. I can follow the comments here being in concordance with my memories. The disk II in 1980 came with the DOS 3.3 and BASICS disk, for 16-sector system. The other disks mentionned remind me of collections from a user as Pronto DOS and Diversi DOS would not be on a genuine Apple disk. The little man was in Applevision, right? Lemonade was also on the Master disk. The arrival of ProDOS changed a lot. DOS 3.3 System Master sounds like a ProDOS disk for using DOS 3.3 software, may-be? I appreciate to read in this FORUM how many Apple II users are still "retroactive" and alive ;-)
Yours Karl-Heinz

DOS 3.3 System Master was DOS not ProDOS and there were multiple versions

DOS 3.3 System Master was DOS not ProDOS and there were multiple versions

The DOS 3.3 System Master is just DOS 3.3, that's what they called it before ProDOS. You can see the name in the images of the floppy labels I uploaded. You might be thinking of Glen Bredon's DOS.MASTER package for ProDOS. The Wikipedia DOS.MASTER article has links to documentation and downloads.

I think it's "System Master" because it has a special version of a DOS that will start on any size RAM that is enough for DOS 3.3. If I recall correctly, when you "INIT HELLO" to make another bootable disk with DOS 3.3 on it, it will only run on Apples with your amount of memory or more.

Back in the day, I didn't understand why. Now I think it must have to do with whether the DOS 3.3 on a floppy is going to relocate itself or not when it loads or not. The bootable floppy you make with "INIT HELLO" must have DOS that has already been relocated to the top of the RAM you have on the machine running "INIT HELLO". The Wikipedia DOS article talks about relocation a bit.

According to the Decline of DOS section, there was more than one version of DOS named "DOS 3.3". That explains the different files. I wonder if any archive has all the versions clearly labeled? I thought DOS 3.3 was DOS 3.3 until I started looking today.

Jim

Last edited:
Regarding the Utilities disk I want to report about the Apple II System Disk 4.0.1 from 11-3-1992, it is named /Utilities and contains ProDOS 8 v.2.0.2. The 3.5" disk had the following content: PRODOS, LAUNCHER.SYSTEM, SYSUTIL.SYSTEM, FASTCOPY.SYSTEM,. BASIC.SYSTEM, UTIL.0, UTIL.1, UTIL.2, SETTINGS, COPY.ME, CLOCK.PATCH. The 5.25" disk was the same besides CLOCK.PATCH which was omitted "because there's no room". I received this disk from the USA in early 1993, I still have no idea about a Utility Disk as a companion of the DOS 3.3 Master disk. By the way, the little sticker contained an Apple in full red with a white 16 in the middle...

Guys, this thread has skidded off the rails and is heading for an embankment...

Not to be rude, but I asked specifically about Apple DOS 3.3
I know I'm not thinking of ProDOS, because it didn't exist yet in this timeframe (1981).

Maybe I need to find someone with an original set of Apple DOS 3.3 diskettes
to find out what was on that second floppy.

Back