• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple //e Disk Loading Problems

Mr. Macintosh

Hi there, I'm relatively new to the forums but thought I'd come to you with this problem.

So I just recently got an Apple //e off of eBay and was super excited as it came with loads of software and stuff. After cosmetically cleaning it I decided to test and see if the Duodisk it came with worked. I hooked everything up, the computer made a startup beep and the Duodisk did it's clacky thing and the drive indicator light came on. After cleaning the Duodisk I inserted a ProDos floppy into the drive. The computer then displayed the ProDos splash screen and then went to "Relocation/Configuration Error" and the drive turned off.

I ran a self test (solid apple + control + reset) and I was met with a message saying "RAM 00000001"

I repeated this process several times, and the result is always the same, by the way this is an Apple //e Enhanced.

If anyone could help me get this computer up and running I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hello Mr. Macintosh,

The autotest is clear : 1 RAM chip (the rightest most on the bottom of the motherboard) is dead. See the FAQ here.
You need to change it. I hope the chip is in a socket. If not, you have to unsolder it.

Hello Mr.Macintosh,
I know the problem. The 1first RAM chip (4164 or 8164) on the left side, next to the power supply is broken. You must replace the chip. If he puts on a constitution, it is easy. Otherwise, you must desolder the chip.

Haha sorry Trash-44fr, Mwlay was right. I removed the leftmost RAM chip (that little devil was soldered in) and I replaced it with a brand new socketed 4264 chip. After that the computer now works like a charm! Thanks for your replies, I made a little video of the working computer here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MltSXN23VNU

And five years later, I have a RAM 00000010 test result on my 1984 board. So I must replace the 2nd from the left while facing the computer?
(Soldered, thought I'd make sure...)

Correct, if you were only going to replace one. But you've experienced one failure already - chances are really good you'll have more. Deslolder them all, put in sockets, and replace all chips. Maybe start with the bad one to ensure you're actually improving things. :)

Thanks for the reminder on socketing, - looks like i have to locate some as i seem to have a few misc, but not enough for the full job.

Back