• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple //e joystick playing arkanoid

Well it could be the way I’m playing it or it could be the more limited range of the stick…I don’t have an original to compare it to so I’m not sure.

It is indeed LCD. I needed a TV I could read the screen on when the Apple is in 80 column mode!

so paddles or a mouse is the best way to play arkanoid for fluid movement. I dont know hopefully someone else can comment but it seems jerky or erratic to me.

It was really hard to control but I wasn’t sure if that was just the game or what. It’s like the stick is non linear near the center so it wants to jump from “not much” to “a whole lot”.

I wonder if part of the “jerkiness” has to do with the joystick being spring loaded, so if you relax your hand it starts to spring back to the center. Maybe somebody could make a video of playing arkanoid with an original joystick (not a paddle or mouse)?

I have seen it before. ITs not from the spring. IT needs very analog inputs like paddles. So if it gets results nowhere near the smoothness of that it can display jerky.

Ah ok. It kind of makes sense since the range of this joystick is 0-10k instead of 0-150k as the original (driving the need for the capacitors to alter the timing circuit).

I tried a completely different joystick with very similar results. I’m starting to think I would need to have a microcontroller and a digital potentiometer in the mix to apply some kind of scaling for the nonlinear behavior in the middle of the range for these modern sticks.

Back