• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple ][e wrong charset.

Flavio

Experienced Member
Dear All,
in these days I am checking my Apple ][e computers.
I have decided to put on the table the best looking Apple ][e I could, so I have taken the upper part (so including the keyboard) from a computer and the below part (so including the mobo and PSU) from another.
After reassembling I have noticed that the charset is wrong... :( Now I see "Apple é°" instead of "Apple ]["... other chars have weird during normal operation...
Please note that the two keyboards from the two "swapped" computer are the same type (IT type).
Can you help find out the issue?
B/R

Are you sure its character set related and not ROM related? Does the computer pass onboard and disk diagnostics? As far as I know different language computers use the same encoder the only different is the Charset. So this is either a faulty one or bad RAM.

Before I made the change the computer was ok... both computers were ok... I would not think about a RAM issue since I tried different programs and they work well.
How can I write back a DSK file to a floppy? Is there a way "only" with a PC?
I also try to remove the cards in the Apple... for example I remember the computer has an 80 column card...

I have tried to replace all 3 ROM chips with the ones of a working Apple ][e and nothing changes.
Also removed all cards and, again, the same situation.
Please note that the error is not random... instead of the char "]" I get "è" everywhere... also for all prompts!
So I also do not think is a RAM issue... "too precise"... :(

The IIe usually has 2 character sets. The one being used is determined by a jumper. If I remember right it's located near the keyboard ROM. Try jumpering it or unjumpering it. Some machines have a dwitch connected to those pins.

è,é, and ° aren't in the USA video rom for the IIe. They are in the French video rom, ° taking the place of [, and é taking the place of {, or an unshifted [. Is it a Euro? Apparently those have a switch under the keyboard part of the case to switch charsets. Maybe a combination of USA roms with foreign language video rom?
https://wiki.reactivemicro.com/Apple...nhancement_Kit <- has images of the various character sets.

You are right! There is a more or less hidden button below the keyboard as per the attached photo.
I did not noticed it and probably I turned it during handling. Now I know something more about this computer! :)

Attachments

• PIC_20210809_101715.JPG
    PIC_20210809_101715.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1
Back