• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II Analog to Digital converter cards

Robuck

Experienced Member
Hello,

I recently bought an Apple II, and am greatly enjoying it. I would really like to know, are there any card slot cards that could turn the Apple II into a sort of microcontroller? My goal would be to read and send analog voltage through wires connected to the computer, possibly with BASIC or assembly code. The only information I could find regarding this was that science labs used this type of setup. Do any of you know anything about where I could find a card like this? Or is it possible to do it with a serial or parallel port? This seems like a good transition from software knowledge to hardware knowledge for me.

Thanks

It would be pretty easy to make one with a glitchworks protoboard, a 6522, and some variety of 8-bit ADC chip.

That being said: What dorkbert said.

If you're already using your DB-9 game port for a joystick or paddles, don't forget the 16 pin socket on the mobo. It will give you 2 more ADCs (joystick axes), 2 or 4 (I don't remember) 1-bit inputs (buttons), and 3 or 4 annunciatiors (1-bit outputs). I think one of the extra buttons is shared by the "shift-key mod", which is built into the Platinum mobo iirc, so try to avoid using that one if you can.

All the Above solutions are good...

BITD, there were companies like, John Bell Engineering that made some card to do interfacing...

Like this Digital Card with the 6522.

And this Analog Card with the 0817.

See my page, "Classic Apple Hardware that I recently acquired", for more information on the John Bell Engineering hardware.

I have three additional pages with other Interfacing Hardware:

Apple ][ Interface Modules, SCI-COMP's "Interface Module" and HRM Software's, "The RED BOX Interface"

TRIAC Driver Board and Computer Interface by Robert J. Vorac

Vernier Serial Boxes

Also, the Blacksburg Group book, "Apple ][ Interfacing" has an Interface Board in the back that can be made..

More on the Blacksburg Continuing Education Series, here

MarkO

Last edited:
Back