• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe Color Composite Monitor Dying... LCD inside it?

k0d3g3ar

Experienced Member
I have an Apple Composite monitor (color) that has served me well for a while, but the tube seems to be dying. The image quality has gradually been deteriorating, and the color separation is really becoming unbearable. Since I'm sure this is going to be one of those things that due to its age will continue to deteriorate, I'm thinking of opening it up, gutting it, and replacing the insides with a LCD monitor, and some upscaling from the composite video from the Apple IIe.

Has anyone done this before? Any war stories to tell?

K

I doubt the problem is any more serious than aging capacitors. They are easily replaced.

If picture quality is your concern I'm not sure why you would be exploring an upscaled LCD.

Its more of an issue of an ongoing aging problem. I'm certainly willing to replace capacitors. But it would seem to me that there are an awful lot of them in a monitor to replace. Am I wrong on that? Do you know of any links to recap'ing a Apple II Composite Color monitor anywhere?

K

Hello,

You will find here a good starter though it is an Apple //c monitor LCD conversion.

Antony

Back