• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe: DHR image poor quality with a RGB board

cyril3d

Hi

When playing some DHR games such as Might & MAgic II I saw that the EVE/FELINE (a "chat mauve" RGB board) boards display unreadable texts whereas the standard analog output yields somewhow blurry but 100% readable texts.

with the scart (peritel) output from the chat mauve board there are shadow color pixels aside each pixel. While it is not a concern for the graphics part, it is very annoying for the texts.

On the apple IIe board I set the color/mono swith to color but it only affects the standard pal output not the scart output.

If you take the AppleWin emulator you can see the additional color pixels within texts but it is much less noticeable and with applewin you can dimmer the effect with the TV output setting (TV text optimized). But what about the real apple IIe + chat mauve board ?

is there some settings I forgot ? is it a cable issue ? a TV set issue?

I must add that I know that the artifacts are native to the apple II color managment.

the only big surprise is that RGB boards display the arteficats much too obviously. The image is crisp but then texts are unreadable

thanks for your ideas

cyril

Last edited:
Hello cyril,

Which card do you have ? IIRC, only one version of one card (EVE Rev B) is capable of displaying DHGR correctly.
I have both models. Just let me know and I could make a test.

Hello cyril,

Which version of card do you have ? I've got 3 different versions :
- Feline
- Eve
- Eve Rev B.
IIRC, not all of them are capable to displar DHGR correctly. Maybe I can help making tests...

Back