• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe silly question

Hyperfrog

Why does my Apple IIe says "Apple ][" on its boot screen instead of "Apple //e" like I've seen on some pictures. Is there a switch or a key combination to make it boot as a IIe?

Thanks,

Christian

It's not enhanced. Look where the LED is on the keyboard. Does it have enhanced written above it? Another way to tell is to check the CPU is it a 6502 or a 65c02? You need the 65c02 and a few ROMs for the enhanced upgrade.

-Matt

Or you may just have an Apple //e case with an Apple ][ motherboard inside.

The enhancement will allow you to use a portion of the later software that required the upgrade which would make it worth while. There is supposedly a small portion of software that will not work with the 65C02 because of some exploited undocumented op-codes in the 6502 that didn't get included in the 65C02. But I have found very few of these. In addition, some changes made in the enhancement claimed to make the machine more backwards compatable with the ][+ (although I can't tell you what that meant). Lastly, the upgrade is easily reversible so you need not worry about affecting the collectabililty of your machine. BTW, is your model an early ][e (one with white lettered keys and can't support double hi-res graphics?). If so, these are harder to find. There is at least one place online that sells the set of chips for the upgrade ($25.00). http://www.reactivemicro.com/

Last edited:
BTW, is your model an early ][e (one with white lettered keys and can't support double hi-res graphics?).

My IIe has black-lettered keys. How do I check if double hi-res graphics are supported? I'm new to the Apple II world. The computer has been collecting dust for a few months, and I've just started playing with it. As regards the enhancement, I think I will get a 65C02 and burn my own EPROMs since I have all that is needed to do so.

If you have black lettered keys, then I doubt yours is the early version of the motherboard. You could just try a double hires game and see if it is displayed without distortion (airheart, qix, rampage)

BTW, is your model an early ][e (one with white lettered keys and can't support double hi-res graphics?). If so, these are harder to find. http://www.reactivemicro.com/

These should be quite rare actually, and have become a collectors item. (for what ever reason)? It you bought one of these in early 1983, Apple offered a free upgrade to the revised double hi-res motherboard.

Last edited:
I bought one last year pretty cheap. It wasn't intentional, I just wanted a spare ][e for parts. The first thing that struck me was the large white lettering on the keyboard. Then I tried a few dhgr games and they didn't display correctly.

Check you motherboard P/N. I believe it's in the upper left hand corner by the power connector. The first version was 820-0064-A. These were not capable of DHR graphics and replaced by 820-0064-B, which lasted up until the enhanced model was introduced, which was the 820-0087-A. It was revised (yet again) for the platinum model 607-0187-A, I believe.

Ya, I checked that out, it is the rare board. Maybe I can throw it on Ebay and make myself a cool 50K for christamas? Just kidding.... But actually I would consider selling it for the right price.

Back