• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe with color monitor Apple M0401Z.

flaviosr

Experienced Member
Hello,
I would like to connect my Apple IIe to a colour monitor and I would like to use an Apple one. I have a M0401Z and it could be a good solution but I am not an expert in Apple HW and I know that Apple monitors are not so flexible.
Do I have a chance?

If its got an M in the model number its for a Macintosh.

It scans horizontally at 35kHz so wont work with an Apple II at 15kHz

I feared this. Does exist a (cheap) tool that can modify the H-frequency? I tried to search but I am not been lucky.

I dont think there is any device that would plug into the Apple and the Mac monitor but in theory a NTSC to VGA might do it but then you will probably find that the converter wont match the Mac monitor

You would need one to do 640 x 480 at 35khz but I think VGA standard at that resolution was 31.5khz so it would complain.

Best bet would be to sell that monitor and look for the right one, but they are so rare these days.

Before you go too far down the 35kHz vs.v15kHz rabbit hole, the M0401Z is a RGB monitor. The Apple IIe video output is composite, not RGB. You need something like a Apple Color Monitor 100.

I did not know the 100 before today. I think it is too rare to hope to have one (rate and obviously expensive).
I knew about the RGB issue but this could be easy... I have found tools with composite input and RGB (or other types) output. The Hfreq is the issue... 😔

I see you are in a PAL country, but remember t the Apple II series was specifically designed for use with USA NTSC Color TV's. Any USA CRT color TV with composite input will work as a great color display unless you are using 80 column text mode ( and 80 col text does not support color anyway ). Many more modern TV's may work also, but since the Apple's output is a little out the NTSC spec, your results may vary.

Last edited:
My first idea was simply to have a position with all Apple HW... even if it's possible (100 model apart) I think it's tough and I do not have big competencies in this field.
I have a Philips color monitor with composite input... I think I will give it a try... :-o

I see you are in a PAL country, but remember t the Apple II series was specifically designed for use with USA NTSC Color TV's. Any USA CRT color TV with composite input will work as a great color display unless you are using 80 column text mode ( and 80 col text does not support color anyway ). Many more modern TV's may work also, but since the Apple's output is a little out the NTSC spec, your results may vary.
You beat me to the punch. My guess was this was a PAL computer and not color.

Back