• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe won't format any disk

tpgb12

Experienced Member
I actually just came across an Apple IIe and Disk II drive. I turn it on, and the machine itself seems to work just fine. I can load games from the Apple II Game Server website with no issues. The problem is with the disk drive. I have a few Apple II games and some software, and they all load fine. However, I can't format a single disk. I always get an I/O error, and yes I am using DSDD disks. Basically, loading data seems to work fine but saving/formatting does not. This is annoying because I want to try out larger games using ADTPro. Any ideas? I'm pretty new to Apple II stuff, btw. Thanks.

So it reads but wont write.

That rules out the read/write head and quite a few other bits. Its possible the erase isn't working so try a completely blank disk (use a magnet to erase it), and try it again.

Then its a case of following through the write data through the transistor array to the head with a scope

https://apple3.org/Documents/Schematics/Disk Analog.jpg (I know it says apple III, but its the same I believe)

I have come across this many times when the drive speed is too fast or too slow. Get a copy of locksmith 6.0 and use the speed utility to dial in the pot for drive speed adjustment on the drive. Every appel 5.25" drive has a pot for speed adjustment.

I have come across this many times when the drive speed is too fast or too slow. Get a copy of locksmith 6.0 and use the speed utility to dial in the pot for drive speed adjustment on the drive. Every appel 5.25" drive has a pot for speed adjustment.

Yeah, I noticed there was a pot on the top board of the drive. Idk how I would get that software running, though, unless there's a cassette version somehow. I only have access to Copy II+ at the moment as far as disk utilities go.

Alright, it turns out I actually did have a disk of Locksmith 5, but it only loaded once and never again for some reason. Anyways, Copy II+ also has a disk speed utility, and when I try it with my blank disks I always get a reading of either 0 or near 0 no matter what I do with the two pots. By the way, when using Copy II+'s format utility, I get an immediate head bang and error on track 0.

Another thing. The computer came with this 80Col/64KB expansion card by Jameco Electronics. This would be really cool if it works because I assume It'd let me play Prince of Persia, but I have a question about it. Are these blue things on it tantalum capacitors? If so, I'm a bit nervous to test it since I've heard a lot about tantalum explosions online.
Jameco 80 Col-64K Card.jpg

If one burns, replace it (or all of them) with next higher voltage rating. Running too close to rated voltage seems to increase the chance that they will let the magic smoke out over time. Clean up the board with some isopropyl alcohol (IPA) if you can find any these days.

They can pop and eject small bits of capacitor shrapnel, but just don't put your face right up to it when powering it on, and you will be fine. (ducks - fire in the hole! Click...) If nothing pops after a minute or so of being powered on, then you are in the clear.

Alright, I'll try the card tonight and let you all know how it goes. Just one thing, it won't kill anything on the computer if it fails, right?

I have never seen any of the apple II 80col/ram cards have a tantalum problem. Many things have tantalum caps.. They aren't a bad thing they are simply a component. Run the device or any device. Like DeltaDon said: If a component fails, replace it. Thats it. Your safe and don't need to hesitate testing.

Alright, I tried that card and it's working fine. I've had it on for a little over an hour now. I also somehow managed to get the disk drive working correctly. This is pretty awesome, though all I can do as far as ADTPro goes is use the audio method at the moment, and that is painfully slow. lol

My IIe actually does have a Super Serial Card, but I don't own the correct serial cable for it yet. So far, though, I've written Prince of Persia and Maniac Mansion. Both work quite well, and I've gotta say that Prince of Persia is probably my favorite game on the platform. It was so cool seeing the OG version on real hardware for the first time. It plays really well considering it's the Apple II. Not the best version (my favorite versions are PC-98 and SNES), but also not the worst for sure. The Genesis and NES versions play really badly even if they look better than the Apple II original.

As long as you have ANY serial cable you can use the SSC. Switch the jumper block for a null modem cable, switch it back the other way for a standard serial cable. Its a versatile card. [ If I remember correctly": set to modem for null modem cable, set to terminal for standard serial cable ]

Back