• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple Mac G3 Beige Destop and OS9.2.2

stangman517

Experienced Member
Greetings!

Recently I received an awesome G3 desktop and love it; I decided I wanted to blow all the software off from a previous owner and install a clean OS9 onto it. The install went ok as far as it seems, a big HOWEVER. I lost my USB mouse!!!! I'm NOT a Mac guru, so I need help. I have the install CD, so is there another folder need to navigate to to install a driver for the USB card inside the box? I do not know the USB card; I have the lid open but the wife is calling me to dinner.

Speaking of navigating how on earth do I navigate dialog boxes that asks me questions without a mouse? The pointer just sits at the top left hand side of the desktop. I've tried different USB mice so I know it's not that. I just printed out a shortcuts tip sheet but haven't had time to study it yet. So if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge and tell me how to navigate without a mouse I'd be much thankful.

Beige G3 machine used ADB mice natively, you need a driver for USB support.

What install CD are you using, there are a ton of machine specific versions plus retail?

It's a eMac OS 9 Install CD. Mac OS 9.2.2 CD Version 1.0.

I did go ahead and order a ADB mouse; that's good info to know being a neophyte App Mac user.

Thanks

Eh for the mouse USB 1 speeds work for me.

Do I need USB driver support for the USB card specifically or a generic USB driver. I'd think the generic driver should be built-in but I know little about Mac OS 9.x.

Thanks

Last edited:
OS 9 has built-in OHCI USB PCI card support. (EHCI cards don't work.) It also contains typical HID support, Mass Storage, etc. You shouldn't need any drivers for just a mouse, unless the mouse exposes custom buttons or unusual functionality (then a tool like USB Overdrive might come in handy).

Back