• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AppleTalk from Mac Classic to Ethernet on iMac G3

I wish I could find the discussion+pinouts I used back in the day, but this comes close. One of the things I recall having to do with the modems I used on the IIgs/Macs is set the DTR dip switch to 'ON' at all times.

Null modem wiring: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.apple2/msg/202354d6aef4a221

Thanks - the pinouts at this link are the standard Mac miniDin to D25 adapter that I am already using, minus the null-modem second adapter.

The null-modem pinout listed is not the standard one as far as I know - this one shorts RTS and CTS together at both ends and delivers them as "Carrier Detect" (D25 pin 8 ) - which looks counter-intuitive to me.

Standard null-modem just crosses RTS and CTS (D25 pins 4 and 5 ), which I've already tried with no success (connection never establishes).

I'm talkng now about direct serial-to-serial, without modem. In the modem scenario, there are AT command to tell the modems which signals to expect or ignore (eg DTR).

Apple forum post that I found says when using a Mac RS422 serial to RS232, miniDIN pin 6 should NOT be connected to 20 or to anything, and my experiments confirmed that. Pin 6 is a unique RS422 signal.

I have DTR (20) tied to RTS (4) on the D25 end, and that's the best result so far.

Rick

null modem = direct serial link. Honestly never wired a cable myself, just used a "hardware handshaking" modem cable I bought and a null modem adapter to connect to a PC.

I'm not reading the whole thread (since I last posted when you were looking for SCSI->Ethernet), so forgive me if this isn't relevant, but I have lots of "AsantePrint" devices available, which are Localtalk->Ethernet boxes. They act as a bridge between localtalk and ethernet, and were intended for use with localtalk printers - thus the name - but can be used with a Mac (or a whole localtalk network) as well to the same end. If your custom solution doesn't do it for you, I'd be glad to sell you one of these boxes.

Back