• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Applied Reasoning PC-GT 286 8088 to 80286 ISA Coprocessor

That may explain why It won't work for me with a Tandy 1000 i.e. Tandy's graphics are somewhere between CGA and EGA, or more like enhanced CGA I guess.

However at least one other person here is receiving the same error (see below in thread) and I'm certain he's not using it with a Tandy 1000.

Could there be an issues with MS/PCDOS beyond say 3.2?
Could be. I'm also thinking that the expansion box might be an issue. Bus timings were soooo very critical with that board.

This will be of interest. It appears there were issues back in the day with this board.

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...applied reasoning pcelevator "pc mag"&f=false
I don't recall that review. We did have some compatibility issues with some software, but it was in general quite compatible with the vast majority of the commercial software out there. The Elevator ran Microsoft Flight Simulator which was kind of the "gold standard" of compatibility. Every board was burned in right in-house, so reliability issues weren't all that common. I wouldn't go as far to say that they all worked when received by the customer, but it ran for 48 hours through a suite of test programs without error before it was shipped.

If you want to get the board to work for its own sake, your absolute best shot would probably be an actual IBM PC XT or even an IBM PC-AT.

All that said, especially with regard to the expansion box on the Tandy, I'd be looking to find other versions of the software. It was constantly being upgraded and improved. Timing issues fixed, compatibility problems solved. For example, there was a copy protection scheme called (IIRC) sof-lok or similar that had a laser hole in the media that originally did not work while running upstairs. That issue was overcome by (one of our) software gurus, Howie Marshall and his trusty Compaq luggable. (Wow, that just brought back some fond memories!)

Another memory: When we brought that board to comdex, the graphics in our booth said simply:
"The World's Fastest PC"
a fairly bold claim. I don't think anyone challenged it, either. But not having the cable to the processor socket posed some problems and limitations.
When people saw it draw the AutoCad Nozzle the vocal reaction was nearly universal:
"Holy Sh!t"

As far as the the original pc-elevator, I am not sure more than 200 or 300 were ever sold.
Someone asked about the 386 version of the board but I don't know how many of those were sold.

Many thanks Ron for sharing memories of your time at Applied Reasoning. I'm sure I speak for others here when I say that your posts are greatly appreciated.

In my case, a Tandy 1000 with an IBM 5161 Expansion unit attached, I would normally of course assume that the combination itself was the most likely culprit, however a couple of others have had the same experience as myself I.e. Error messages.

I'm going to go for low hanging fruit first and try DOS 3.2 when time permits, my next move will then be to finally complete re-capping the power supply in my IBM Portable and try it in that machine.

My pleasure, believe me.

I'm going to poke around facebook for some former employees and see if any of them might have the drivers. Super long shot but...

Actually, first I might want to know if any of them remember me. THEN if they might have the software. LOL

Many thanks Ron for sharing memories of your time at Applied Reasoning. I'm sure I speak for others here when I say that your posts are greatly appreciated.

In my case, a Tandy 1000 with an IBM 5161 Expansion unit attached, I would normally of course assume that the combination itself was the most likely culprit, however a couple of others have had the same experience as myself I.e. Error messages.

I'm going to go for low hanging fruit first and try DOS 3.2 when time permits, my next move will then be to finally complete re-capping the power supply in my IBM Portable and try it in that machine.

I think for this hardware drivers, you can try to download it from a driver download software, you can find one from the google search, i use a free drivers download software to helps me download the hardware drivers.

So a few months back I came into possesion of a number of IBM 5150's and 5160's.

I actually discovered not one, but TWO of the PC Elevator cards.

The first one I ended up selling. I still have the second one. The second one was in 5160 with a hard drive.

I have not yet had the courage to attempt powering the hard drive in an attempt to find and retrieve, hopefully, the software related to the card's function. I do plan on attempting this soon and will keep everyone posted. I would be thrilled if I could set up a fulling working PC-Elevator setup - the card I have even has the coprocessor and is fully populated with the expansion memory!

Back