• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Are C128's getting rarer?

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I have never seen one here in el Paso, and right now there are none on eBay. The 64's are pretty much all over (even had one come in the shop-- keeping it) but neither hide nor hair of a 128 anywhere. I may break downand buy one from vintagecomputer after all. The vic is okay as a playmate for a while with the 64, but I really want another 128. It was just too neat of a machine. Great case design. A red case would have been a great look for it. Maybe a red/black upper/lower case theme. Too bad there weren't that many custom aftermarket accessories for them.

Nathan

I have never seen one here in el Paso, and right now there are none on eBay.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time for me to put one up on eBay... I've got a few spares. I've been keeping them for a ready supply of spare parts, but if they have in fact become "rare", it might be time to let one or two go. ;)

-Andrew
http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs

Only the 128D is ebay "RARE". My 128 came from ebay a few years ago and was like $20-30. Nice machines and a much nicer keyboard then a C64. I use my 128 in C64 mode mostly, but I do have the cables connected to my 1084 for 80 column mode.

Well, last summer, I sold a working 128 with drive and just a case and keyboard, and I think I got about 10 bucks more for the working one than I did for just the case and keyboard.

I believe the working one and drive went for about 60 bucks US.

There is also the 128DLC, which possibly only came out in Europe. Unlike the 128D which had a metal case, the 128DLC had a plastic one and a neat little bracket on the bottom for the keyboard when transporting the machine. The other thing which is getting harder to find is the external Power Supply for the regular 128 with the square connector. I have 2 regular, a "D", a "DLC" and 2 regular 128s as well as a couple of external 1571s. Might be time to unload some.

Lawrence

Only the 128D is ebay "RARE". My 128 came from ebay a few years ago and was like $20-30. Nice machines and a much nicer keyboard then a C64. I use my 128 in C64 mode mostly, but I do have the cables connected to my 1084 for 80 column mode.

Oops. That is rightly the 128DCR. Off the top of my head that came out as L(ow) C(ost). I've been collecting for years and all the 128s as well as the big majority of my collection was acquired prior to the year 2000. Now I'm trying to gradually whittle it down to a few favorites.

Lawrence

Hm, does the Macintosh LC series mean they were low-cost models? When it comes to the CBM computers, I'm unsure if they ever were marketed with these suffixes, or if it is the user community who have labeled them afterwards. There is a VIC-20CR too, the newer model with DIN-style power supply and redesigned motherboard with two 2K chips instead of eight 0.5K chips. I think that model got its current name from collectors in the late 1990's or so, probably more than ten years after the last unit was manufactured.

Well the designation on the exterior only says Commodore 128. No "D" or "DCR". Besides the plastic case difference, the cassette recepticle is on the back rather than the side as on the 128D. Possibly because it has a folding handle like on an Apple 2C on the opposing side. One strange design feature is 2 arms jutting awkwardly 1 1/2 inches out the back which can easily be broken off (as one of mine is). I had assumed it was to store the power cord , now I wonder whether it was to mount some other peripheral because of the awkwardness of their placing.

Years ago I had an external Commodore 1/2 height FDD for the Pet, a 2021(?)LP which stood for L(ow) P(rofile) so Commodore did use such designations. I imagine the "D" tho was just a designation of a model which followed the "C".

Lawrence

Yes, the LP drives are officially named as such: 2031LP, 8050LP and so on. Unfortunately I haven't found a single 2031LP in the basement/garage.

Back