• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Argh....school firewall

Spade914

My school's new firewall blocks nearly EVERYTHING that dosen't have cartoon animals or math formulas on it. I've been able to hack my way around every firewall up untill this one, but now I'm having some trouble. Every proxy site (that I've found) is blocked, as is the google page translator (which is what I used to use). More and more sites are being blocked each day (I doubt I'll be able to get on this one next week). I used to work on my website each day after I was done with my computer work, but Freewebs was blocked last month. I tried to look up some teen poetry this morning for English, but nearly every site that Google came up with was blocked. I'm doing a report on Paintball in another class, but everything that involves paintball is blocked by the firewall.

Yesterday I found a good PHPserver site that wasn't blocked (http://www.dragon2309.ath.cx/phproxy/), but today that site won't pull up at all. Is there anything that you can think of that I can do about this? I'm all out of ideas except for sending a petition to the board of education, but I seriously doubt that will do anything.

Thanks for your help

It doesin't sound like there is anything you can really do. Darn those "Network Nazis" Firewalls are angry things, the more advanced they are, the harder they are to bypass. The only thing I can think of it to make a http tunnel through a port they can't block. Like HTTP 80. But thats more trouble than its worth. It's probably Microsoft ISA server. Thats the only thing that hard core that I can think of. Its not a friendly thing to use or go up aginst. So there's nothing you can do short of powering down the ISA server.

Sorry. I might be able to come up with something though, I'll let you know...

-Vlad

I'd ask for a list of the sites you are supposed to visit. Considering how many new websites pop up every day and which the network administrator can not know on beforehand if the students will want to visit, much less know what kind of sites it is, I think they set up a whitelist of allowed websites.

When I went to school, networking was something for universities and the military. Internet of course was unheard of - God bless the encyclopedias, although sometimes they were rather outdated. In college, I took a special computing class, and only once in three years we were allowed to call a BBS. It sounds like I'm very old, but that is a time period between 1988 and 1994.

Spade914 said:
My school's new firewall blocks nearly EVERYTHING that dosen't have cartoon animals or math formulas on it. I've been able to hack my way around every firewall up untill this one, but now I'm having some trouble. Every proxy site (that I've found) is blocked, as is the google page translator (which is what I used to use). More and more sites are being blocked each day (I doubt I'll be able to get on this one next week). I used to work on my website each day after I was done with my computer work, but Freewebs was blocked last month. I tried to look up some teen poetry this morning for English, but nearly every site that Google came up with was blocked. I'm doing a report on Paintball in another class, but everything that involves paintball is blocked by the firewall.

Yesterday I found a good PHPserver site that wasn't blocked (http://www.dragon2309.ath.cx/phproxy/), but today that site won't pull up at all. Is there anything that you can think of that I can do about this? I'm all out of ideas except for sending a petition to the board of education, but I seriously doubt that will do anything.

Thanks for your help

Download a copy of Portable Firefox and put it on a USB Pen Drive. Run it from that. Get proxies from your home computer and put them into a text file on the flash drive. Input them into Firefox at school. The only way that wouldn't work is if the computer system has a software restriction system in place. Can I guess that your school uses the BESS system?

That usually works aginst some things but would do nothing aginst Microsoft ISA server. Its configured in such a way that the only way to bypass it, would be to unplug the ISA server.

(ISA = Internet Security and Acceleration server)

-V

Back