• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ARM Laptop Project

I have an ARM Laptop running android (No-Name Chinese Device) and it can barely run Windows 95 natively. I've gotten around to make Windows 3.1 work like a charm but it's still a pain in some ways. I think ARM is around the same speed as an 8088 used to be. I mean, Windows 95 (Modified to work on ARM Architechture) was barely stable and the performance was grueling. An emulator for android helps a bit but Windows 95 is still unstable. To be more specific, I have a WM8850 1.5GHz which is ARM in itself. If you get around to make it work, I'd like to see the code of that or at least a preview of the progress you've made.

ARM is faster than an 8086 though the various ARM chips differ in terms of clock for clock performance. A 1.5 GHz ARM should compare well with an early Pentium III; drop performance by another 50% for a typical Intel on ARM emulator. Not great but with enough RAM probably not too annoying.

The biggest challenge has been getting OpenGLES to work. Doesn't seem all that possible now. I may need to can the project and start with another system. Shame though. I'll put it on hiatus until it's feasible.

Back