• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Asante EN-SC SCSI-Ethernet Adapter Trouble

Raven

Veteran Member
I have a PowerMac 5260/120, 32MB RAM, running System 7.6

I want this to get onto my Ethernet network, and I recently attained a bunch of stuff for doing that. I hooked an EN-SC, which is a SCSI-Ethernet adapter, up to the SCSI port of the Mac, and installed the drivers. I then rebooted, and all input stopped working (keys & mouse button) except the cursor movement. Even if you disconnect the device, the input is broken until a reboot. If you boot the machine without the device, things are fine, and if you hook it up afterwards, it errors when you try to switch to EtherTalk, and reverts to LocalTalk.

I don't know how to fix this. I've emailed their support, but who knows if they can/will help, as this is an old device. It was brand new in shrink wrap, so there's nothing wrong with it. I'm a bit nubby with Mac, so perhaps I'm just missing something.

Thanks.

Edit: Update: I tried my other PowerMac, and a second EN-SC device, both to no avail. As a side note, the macs don't seem to pick up the device when I plug the SCSI cable into the other port, but they don't have the issues that way either. Odd.

Last edited:
Does the EN-SC driver even support PowerPC? I thought they were intended for machines like the Plus.

It doesn't complain in any way when I install it.. I don't know. I'm a total nub with Macs. The floppy for the drivers is dated 1994 if that helps any.

Ah, so I could just downgrade my OS then? :p

Apparently SC on the Mac requires 7.6 or higher (end goal is to browse and play SC online on one of 'em). I don't have anything else that could hook up to these PowerMacs besides the SCSI cards. Mine came packaged with Systems 6 and 7 drivers, so I find it odd that a revision of 7 would throw them off..

I came across a different SCSI-Ethernet adapter, the Mini EN/SC 10T, and judging by the looks and miniaturization, I'd say it's newer. Anybody have info on this? I'll try it out next time I have my PowerMac plugged in.

Interesting to hear someone else having the same sort of trouble. I have an ancient DaynaPORT SCSI/10bT Ethernet adapter which seems to have stopped working, though the LEDs do not appear to indicate a problem. I think having it hooked up on the same chain as a defective Zip drive may have fried its SCSI port… actually, now I'm wondering if I threw its corpse out in a moment of weakness. I can't seem to find it to tell you what model it was.

If ripping them using a PC and rawwrite will work I can get you an image, otherwise, sorry.

(on another note, I still never got a Mac working on a network - I just don't understand them... :( )

I am also having trouble with the Asante EN/SC-10T with my Mac Plus. I can't get my machine to boot up with the Asante daisy chained to the SCSI external hard drive (I get the sad Mac face).

From Asante's manual <http://www.asante.com/downloads/legacy/desktenscug.pdf>, it says:

SCSI address on the EN/SC Adapter

The SCSI address on the EN/SC Adapter is fixed at 6 and cannot
be changed.

SCSI termination on the EN/SC Adapter

Since the DB25 SCSI port on the Asanté Desktop EN/SC Adapter
is internally terminated, the adapter must be the only SCSI device
you connect to the Macintosh. However, it may be one of several
devices in a SCSI daisy chain if the following guidelines are
adhered to:

• You must use a DB-25 to DB-50 SCSI cable — not the DB-25 to DB-25 SCSI cable included with the adapter — to add another device to the SCSI chain.

• The Desktop EN/SC Adapter must be placed at the end of the SCSI chain.

Here is a picture of my setup:
asante_ensc.JPG

Got the Mac Plus to boot! (it took removing the DB25 terminator plug on the Asante, the device is internally terminated!).

Here's the details of the daisy chain:

1. Mac Plus >>> DB25-Centronics 50 cable >>> external hard drive top SCSI port;

2. external hard drive bottom SCSI port >>> Centronics 50-DB-25 cable >>> Asante EN/SC-10T DB25 SCSI port (the one nearest the power plug-in); and

3. SCSI id of hard drive at 5, SCSI id of Asante at 2.

comm slot ethernet

comm slot ethernet

does this model have a comm slot?
you would be MUCH better off using the comm slot ethernet card

does this model have a comm slot?
you would be MUCH better off using the comm slot ethernet card
Knowing the 5260 there IS a comm slot, all you need is one of these (not my auction), its cheap, it just WORKS no driver support (its support is built into the OS). There's not much easier than configuring a comm slot Ethernet card.

Yup id go with a comm slot ethernet card.. Cheap easy and effective. I use my DaynaPort E/Z for Macs that cant get an ethernet card, like my Plus, Classic and Classic II

The DaynaPort E/Z is a Serial based Ethernet Adapter, so as long as you have a printer port/modem port your golden. Thats how I get my Color Classic Online with the 040 upgrade. It works nicely.

The DaynaPort E/Z is a Serial based Ethernet Adapter, so as long as you have a printer port/modem port your golden. Thats how I get my Color Classic Online with the 040 upgrade. It works nicely.
Ah, I didn't know there were any serial based ones, I was thinking about my own, and the OP's EN/SC devices, they are SCSI based ethernet devices.

Yup the DaynaPort E/Z's are the hard ones to find.. I was lucky at a university surplus sale and bought it for 2 bucks.. Brand new in the box.. It had been sitting on the shelf the last few years and I finally pulled it down and used it to get my Classic II Webserver online. I have the SCSI version too, but the serial one is much easier to configure

Back