• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ASM502 - a new 6502 assembler.. (WIP)

orac81

ASM502
--------

ASM502 is a 6502 assembler written in C99-compliant C code. It is small and light, and yet implements a useful subset of CA65 functionality.

ASM502 Download
I can hear everyone shout "we dont need another 6502 assembler", and they are probably right! In defence ASM502 has a few interesting points - it is (fairly) modern, compatible with a useful subset of CA65, and it is small, it can even compile/run (with cc65) on a Commodore 64 or Plus 4.

ASM502 uses standard 6502 assembler syntax.

To compile a 6502 assembler source "myprog.s" use:
asm502 myprog.s myprog.prg
(Specify correct name/path at start, ie: ./asm502.elf myprog.s myprog.prg )
ASM502 generates the 2 byte header with the start address (from the .ORG statement in the code).
If you want to save the listing file use:
asm502 myprog.s myprog.prg >myprog.lst
Load "myprog.prg" on your emulator (or real comp) and start with RUN (or SYS XXXX etc).

Internally ASM502 works with 32 bit numbers (ie the default C integer) depending on the C compiler options used.
Numbers can be decimal (default), hex (precede with $) or binary (precede with %) ie:
.byte 160, $A0, %10100000 ; Number 160 in decimal, hex, binary..

Unary operators can preceed an expression:
<(expression) ; Low byte of expression
>(expression) ; High byte of expression
-(expression) ; Negate expression

ASM502 supports variables and can evaluate complex expressions. It uses C-style operators "<<,>>,=,!=,<,>,&,|,^,+,-,*,/,%".

expr1 << expr2 ; Shift expr1 left by expr2
expr1 >> expr2 ; Shift expr1 right by expr2
expr1 = expr2 ; True if equal
expr1 != expr2 ; True if not equal
expr1 < expr2 ; True if less
expr1 < expr2 ; True if more
expr1 & expr2 ; Bitwise AND
expr1 | expr2 ; Bitwise OR
expr1 ^ expr2 ; Bitwise EOR (EXCLUSIVE OR)
expr1 + expr2 ; Add
expr1 - expr2 ; Subtract
expr1 * expr2 ; Multiply
expr1 / expr2 ; Divide
expr1 % expr2 ; Modulus (remainder of division)

A variable must start with upper/lower case letter, then include numbers or underlines. ie:

My_var1 = (($123 + %1010 + 1234) * 2) & $ffff ; Assign const val to (My_var1)
.word (My_var1 >> 1) + (33 * $22), $abc1, 0 ; Use that in .word code definition..

Here are some example lines:

; Comments follow a semicolon.
label: ; lable can be a destination for a branch or jump or data.
lda #65 ; 6502 load accumulator with decimal 65.
.byte 1,2,3,4 ; Define 4 bytes.
.word $1234, $abcd ; Define 2 words (same as: .byte $34,$12,$cd,$ab)
.byte <label, >label ; Low and high byte of label

ASM502 supports a subset of assembler macro/conditional directives.

*=(expression) ; Set start-address of assembly code..
.org (expression) ; Set start-address of assembly code.. (alternative to *=.. )
.byte (expression),"strings".. ; Define some bytes in-line
.word (expression),(expression).. ; Define some 16 bit words inline (in lo/hi byte order)
.end ; Terminate assembly.

.if (expression) ; Conditional compile following code if (expression) non-zero..
; asm code here ..
.else ; Compile following code if (expression) is zero..
; asm code here..
.endif

.define var expression ; This is the same as "var=expression". more complex macro .define not (yet) implemented.

Most more complex directives (ie: macros) are not (yet) implemented.

Here is a more complete simple example program to print some text.

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Simple program to print some text.

* = 828 ; Put code in C64 tape buffer, call with SYS 828.. (change for non-commodore computers..)
printchar = $ffd2 ; Routine to print accumulator as char on screen (change for non-commodore computers..)
IS_C64=1 ; Set variable IS_C64 to 1

printtext: ; jsr printtext starts this program.
ldx # 0
printloop: ; loop point.
ldy textdata,x ; get character to print
beq printdone ; Zero terminates print
txa
pha ; Save X on stack
tya
jsr printchar ; Print character in Accumulator
pla
tax ; Get X
inx
bne printloop
printdone:
rts

textdata:
.if IS_C64 ; Only compile following if IS_C64 is non zero
.byte "HELLO C64! ",0 ; Define some text bytes, zero at end.
.else
.byte "THIS IS NOT A C64! ",0
.endif
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to compile this program, cut and paste the above to a new text file called "testpr,s", then compile with:
asm502 testpr.s testpr.prg
Load "testpr.prg" on your emulator (or real comp) and start with SYS 828.

There are more extensive code examples included with ASM502.

ASM502 notes
--------------

The source code "asm502.c" is included, and released under the GNU GPL3 licence (see end of this document).

As things stand this program is a "work in progress". It started as an adaption of an earlier assembler of mine when I wanted something simpler and smaller than the CA65 (the CC65 assembler). Now CA65 is a very good assembler, but by necessity it has to deal with far more complexity due to it being part of a C compiler - segmentation, object files, library formats etc.

Compiling the ASM502 single-file source just needs a C99 compatible C compiler, and is as simple as:
cc asm502.c -o asm502 -Os # in Linux..

I have included pre-built binarys for 32 bit Windows and Linux, but if you have a C compiler I recommend that you just build a binary for your own system.

ASM502 is a work-in-progress, and has plenty of omissions, and some bugs too, but it is useable, so I thought I should put it out anyway - I havent done anything to it for a long while now.
The .include command is not included yet, but it would not be difficult to add. Other things like macro definitions and procedures would require more work, but are possible.

ASM502 is a two-pass assembler. As it stands it simply allocates the memory for the source file and loads it in one block, but it is designed so that it could compile the source line-by-line. That would be useful to make it more effective on platforms with limited memory.
It can, and has been compiled on minimal platforms like the Commodore 64, although some tweaks to memory allocation for arrays might need looking at first. For simplicity, source files on Commodore platforms should be converted to upper case - again, this could be fixed.

In the end I have found ASM502 interesting and useful, so maybe you will too!

Attachments

• asm502-115a.zip
    62.5 KB · Views: 1
Back