• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Hey Agent Orange,

Noticed that you've set the Win7 aspect of your build aside, but I was wondering about the BIOS/SATA BIOS you're using in your board.

The Asus 1013 BIOS includes Silicon Image BIOS 4.2.47, but the most "recent" SI BIOS is 4.4.02. Apparently, SI 4.4.02 apparently helped one chap using the Abit NF7-S get Win7 SP1 going (i.e. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33958967 post #29).

Some years ago I used CBROM to combine the Silicon Image 4.4.02 BIOS with the 1013 A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS for a couple of nForcersHQ users, and though my Socket A boards are long gone, I still have the file to hand. I've attached a pic of the contents of the vanilla BIOS, along with the modified BIOS for comparison.

a7n8x bios.jpg

If you're already using the latest SI BIOS then I guess this isn't going to help at all, but maybe it's worth a shot if it helps with the Win7 install? Seems I can't attach the BIOS file, but maybe could PM or email if you're keen.

Hey Agent Orange,

Noticed that you've set the Win7 aspect of your build aside, but I was wondering about the BIOS/SATA BIOS you're using in your board.

The Asus 1013 BIOS includes Silicon Image BIOS 4.2.47, but the most "recent" SI BIOS is 4.4.02. Apparently, SI 4.4.02 apparently helped one chap using the Abit NF7-S get Win7 SP1 going (i.e. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33958967 post #29).

Some years ago I used CBROM to combine the Silicon Image 4.4.02 BIOS with the 1013 A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS for a couple of nForcersHQ users, and though my Socket A boards are long gone, I still have the file to hand. I've attached a pic of the contents of the vanilla BIOS, along with the modified BIOS for comparison.

View attachment 33145

If you're already using the latest SI BIOS then I guess this isn't going to help at all, but maybe it's worth a shot if it helps with the Win7 install? Seems I can't attach the BIOS file, but maybe could PM or email if you're keen.

Thanks for your interest and reply. I have what I believe to be the latest BIOS and drivers. I picked the SI SATA driver off their site. I figured that W7 would be a slam dunk. That's the first time I let an OS beat me down, but I had to take a step back and realize that the games aren't going run much better with W7 anyway. It is what it is, a period gamer, and it does the early 2000's stuff pretty good for a single core rig. When the snow flies up here this winter, I may take another look while doing some more research. After all, according to the Microsoft W7 minimum requirements, the A7 fits right in. I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and haven't ruled out the NVidia video card. If I can find the Phoenix-Award editor, I'll give that ROM a look.

A7N8X-E Deluxe SiL 3112 RAID/SATA Controller Update

Freestyle: Don't think you can receive private emails yet as you don't have enough posts accumulated. I was able to flash the SI 3112 and am up to 4.2.66. Haven't tried W7 yet as I think all of the reported good results were with 4.4.02. I can find plenty of references to it, but no download links. Still trying. If you able able to send a PM, give me an email address and I'll shoot mine right back to you.

A7N8X-E Deluxe SiL 3112 RAID/SATA Controller Update

Thanks to Freestyle, who resides in Sydney, I was able to flash the A7 to 'SiL 3112 Version 4.4.02'. As soon as I can free up some time, I'll give W7 one last shot.

Note: The big PITA here is that you can't upgrade to W7 from Xp, must be a clean install (at least with my W7 three license family pack).

A7N8X-E Deluxe W7 Update Progress Report

So far this week I've spent 7 or 8 hours on the net attempting to get to the crux of the A7 W7 installation problems (BSOD's). The bottom line is that it can be done and has been done successfully in the past - not by me, however. Microsoft, Asus, and NVidia all passed the buck on 462 pin systems. From what I can determine, it boils down to a few driver and some RAM issues. The SiL 3012 SATA/RAID drivers need to be updated to Version 4.4.02 first off. Next, you need to check the RAM configuration, and if you have the max 3 GB installed (1 GB in each slot), you must temporarily remove the 1 GB stick from the A2 slot. At this point you can attempt to boot the W7 CD and proceed with the installation. Once installed you need to update the following, using the Device Manager, for the below files (located in the System devices category).

NVidia nForce AGP Host to Bridge
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

After a successful driver update, you can now reinstall the RAM stick into A2.

I haven't tried this routine yet because I'm out of SATA drives and I don't want to write over my present up and working Kingston SSD 120 in the A7. I'll try to get over to Walmart (sale) and pick one up this weekend.

Late edit: Caught a sale at Best Buy on a PNY SSD 120 GB w/6 MB per second transfer rate and Acronis software for $49 (my $100 build-out budget just went south). So when football is over tonight, I'll try to get the install moving.

Last edited:
A7N8X-E Deluxe W7 Update Progress Report

After much trial and error W7 is finally installed and running on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I was not able to install W7 on my new PNY CS1311 120 GB SSD, as the SSD would not partition or format properly. The system and W7 fully recognized the device but the formatting procedure would just bog down and die, and I attribute most of that to a single core CPU and a 400 MHz FSB. What I did was to use a Samsung 250 GB SP2514N ATA HD and the install went on without a hitch. It should be noted that the install was accomplished with the 1 GB stick removed from the A2 slot, as outlined in #65, and there were no BSOD's. After updating the drivers (#65), the 1 GB memory module was reinstalled and the system now shows a full 3 GB of memory.

My W7 package is a 3-license Home Premium family pack. When installing and activating the software, be sure you're on-line and to use the normal activation procedure and not the "Upgrade" feature. W7 activated normally as you would expect, and no phone calls to MS are necessary. The W7 updates are time consuming and a real PITA. It should be noted, that once W7 is fully installed, all of the system drivers installed with the exception being those noted in #65 (they are present but not installed). The over-all speed of W7 when compared to XP seems to be good at this point, but not blinding. I'll know more when the I get around to setting up the games.

The next step in the project is to get the PNY 120 SSD cloned and installed in the A7. Hopefully, I can use my Gigabyte backup which is a GA-MA790FXT-UDP5 as the host for the cloning procedure. It's the only fast and capable machine that I have with PATA support. BTW, I did fully check-out the PNY on my big Asus rig and it works fine. I attempted to use the Acronis software (kludgy) that comes with the PNY SSD, and it bogged down in the A7 also. Hopefully Acronis will work as advertised in the Gigabyte rig. As an aside, I'm thinking that a good third party PCI SATA/RAID controller, with a nice fast built-in BIOS, might speed things up a little. With winter coming, I just might put that on the to-do list.

P.S. I'd like to thank all you who provided advise, drivers, and other software/hardware tips along the way, or this project would have never gotten off the ground.

A7-1.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know why you should be having problems formatting your SSD with an Athlon XP-based machine. It's not like formatting a disk is CPU intensive. To get things up and running fast you could always just do a quick format instead and only verify every sector at some point later on with CHKDSK /R.

I don't know why you should be having problems formatting your SSD with an Athlon XP-based machine. It's not like formatting a disk is CPU intensive. To get things up and running fast you could always just do a quick format instead and only verify every sector at some point later on with CHKDSK /R.

I guess I never know 'cause it's up and running now. Or, who knows why. (possibly an anomaly with that particular SSD) Formatted just fine on an Athlon X2.

I see you're actually using a Sempron, not an Athlon XP as your CPU. I've got an Athlon XP 3000+ in my nForce2 board. Ran Windows 2000 for basically all of its useful life. It runs Windows XP now and probably always will. I haven't used it in a long time. Thermal paste needs redoing as it was overheating and malfunctioning in Prime95.

I see you're actually using a Sempron, not an Athlon XP as your CPU. I've got an Athlon XP 3000+ in my nForce2 board. Ran Windows 2000 for basically all of its useful life. It runs Windows XP now and probably always will. I haven't used it in a long time. Thermal paste needs redoing as it was overheating and malfunctioning in Prime95.

It's a Sempron Barton 3300+ which clocks at about 2.2 GHz. Actually does W7 as well as XP. I don't have a copy of W2K anymore, must have misplaced it. I do have W2K on an AST 486 laptop. Question: Why run Prime95 on an old CPU. as it really adds too much stress. Usually chips from that era are go no go anyway.

You'll be hard pressed to get a S462 Athlon to not overheat running something like Prime95. The tiny die surface area coupled with the junk OEM all aluminum heatsinks makes it impossible to cool them properly. You'll need an aftermarket heatsink with a copper core and a large fan to keep them barely within thermal spec.

Many motherboards in that area were also real dicey on the power circuitry so you could end up blowing up the motherboard from excessive power draw.

No, it used to run Prime95 indefinitely without any problems, albeit at a temperature close to the rated maximum of the CPU. I think the thermal interface has always been somewhat marginal and it seems time has degraded the thermal paste to the point where Prime95 now pushes the CPU above its rated maximum temperature causing errors to occur. My system is a Shuttle SN41G2B which has ample cooling provided by a heatpipe and fan so that definitely isn't a factor in the overheating problem.

A7N8X-Deluxe Progress Report

A major issue with the 120 GB PNY SSD turned out to be backward SATA I compatibility. I returned the PNY and bought a SanDisk 120 SSD for a little less. The Sandisk loaded W7 about 3/4 of the way and upon a normal installation restart, the W7 install failed. What I think is happening is that the W7 loses tabs on the SATA driver when it reboots. Bare in mind that you load the Si SATA driver up front, via a floppy, when requested by the W7 install procedure. To more or less validate this theory, W7 will install and run on a PATA drive. The obvious conclusion would be that Si SATA drivers are out of the picture.

After exhaustive experimentation with W7 on the A7, I've come to the conclusion that it's not meant to be. There are too many little 'gotchas' along the way, as well a BSOD once in awhile, which I believe are all driver related. But, the bottom line is that it did, in fact, run.

I've returned my A7 setup to its former state and XP runs off a Kingston 120 SSD as before. The system seems to be as solid as a rock, and even IE8 plays fairly nice. Not much left be done, and somewhere in the near future I'll try to post some pictures of my rig.

If you are currently running XP and have been plagued with problems concerning 'Microsoft .NET Framework' persistently trying to update to version 3.5 SP1, then there is hope. Search for and download 'cleanup_tool.exe' for Framework.

Last edited:
Or just give in to the dark side - forget about running Windows at all (unless it is W9x or some other vintage version) and install a Linux distribution, FreeBSD or another operating system that works. Once you have learned it you will never need to have Windows problems again.

Or just give in to the dark side - forget about running Windows at all (unless it is W9x or some other vintage version) and install a Linux distribution, FreeBSD or another operating system that works. Once you have learned it you will never need to have Windows problems again.

Tingo thanks for the input. XP runs real well on the A7. The main problem with this mobo is that the on-board Si SATA controller has limited forward compatibility - it's stuck at SATA I. Even a third party PCI SATA III controller is iffy because it seems that SATA III PCI controllers were all PCIe. Note: if someone has a PCI one, let's make deal. As for Linux, just not my thing. Maybe on the business or professional end, but as far gaming with it on a somewhat less than vintage system, I don't see it happening. The W7 thing was just an experiment and an attempt to bring the system a little more up to date. Although it did work, just a little too much overhead. Games that don't require dual core CPU's and at least W7 run just fine.

It wouldn't make sense to have a PCI SATA 3.0 controller card because PCI doesn't have enough bandwidth. Even a SATA 2.0 drive will completely saturate the PCI bus.

It wouldn't make sense to have a PCI SATA 3.0 controller card because PCI doesn't have enough bandwidth. Even a SATA 2.0 drive will completely saturate the PCI bus.

Maybe I generated some confusion here. What I meant was a PCI capable SATA III card for a standard PCI slot, not PCIe. I'm not so sure that the bandwidth would be that big of an issue. But, as far I know there is no such animal. I would like to be wrong about that. What you run into is SSD compatibility issues if your SSD is not fully backward compatible to SATA I, like the PNY that I tried to fit and failed. With the exception of my video card, a GeForce 7600 GS AGP8 512 MB, I think my A7 is just about max'd out. Still in the market for a 1GB AGP video card.

Maybe I generated some confusion here. What I meant was a PCI capable SATA III card for a standard PCI slot, not PCIe.

I'm not so sure that the bandwidth would be that big of an issue.

PCI is a shared bus with a maximum bandwidth of 133 MB/s. SATA 2 is 300 MB/s and SATA 3 is 600 MB/s. Running a SSD designed for either on a hypothetical PCI controller card would cripple it to ATA-100 speeds as well as starve the entire PCI bus during disk transfers. Now if it was PCI-X, it'd be another story as it has a bandwidth of 533 MB/s on a 66 MHz slot and 1064 MB/s on a 133 MHz slot.

But, as far I know there is no such animal.

The only way you'd get a SATA 3 controller in that antique is doing something crazy like getting a PCI to PCIe bridge like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037ECAM2

And getting a PCIe x1 SATA 3 controller card and hope it works.

Still in the market for a 1GB AGP video card.

The only 1 GB VRAM AGP cards I know of are the frankenstien HD4650/70 AGP cards. But besides all of the awful problems they have, they'll also eat heavily into the system memory map and lower the maximum amount of system memory available.

Thanks for all of that. It's great to talk about what possibly could be. I'm pretty much done with the A7 mods and such. The next round will be to get period games loaded up. Doom 3 'No CD' has been problematic.

The 'DOOM_3_1_3_1_Patch_Fixed_v4.exe' still wants the CD Key but won't accept it. I have a ton of literature on this and hope to get it worked out soon. Has something to do with being "on line" at the time you enter the key. It's not that big of a deal to just insert disk 1 and go on with the game, but there is no way to copy or archive Doom 3 Disk 1 due to its copy protection scheme, even though you have a legit set of CD's and keys.

Back