• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

At&t 6300(wooo!!!!)

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
So in the thread about Druid needing an AT&T 6300 keyboard, there was the e-mail of some guy with a system he needed to get rid of. After Druid declared he just wanted keyboard, not a whole setup, I immediatley pounced. As it turned out, the guy was in Fort Worth, and I was in Denton. We met half-way in Grapevine. Luckily, the guy was the original owner, and he retired the computer to his attic in 1998. He also was a packrat, and had EVERYTHING to do with the system. He had all the manuals, docs, purchase papers, even his request to his boss for $3500 towards the purchase of a new computer. He even had all original boxes and such.

Lets get to the system itself!

It is an AT&T 6300 with a tad of yellowing on the front, but I have an extra case with no yellowing, so thats not an issue. It is all original, and even has an AT&T issue RAM upgrade. The card boosts it from an estimated 256Kb to a whopping 640Kb. It is a dual floppy system, and its LED works great. The keyboard it came with works great, like new, as well as the mouse. And get this; When the AT&T keyboard gets a mouse, it needs a chip installed. The guy even gave me the old chip!!! It also has a color monitor, but there appears to be something wrong with it. When I turn it on, I can see the text, but there is a shade of white over it, with lines, as if the (brightness or contrast, I forget) was turned too high. I didn't feel like messing around, so I hooked up my different looking color monitor. It came with software such as Word Perfect, The original Flight Simulator with box and manuals, Reflex, multi-mate, and all sorts of other goodies. It even cam with a Citizen printer with original boxes and such, which I haven't had the chance to test. There was even a strange adult game called Interlude II. It is innapropriate in everyway, but my parents demand I make it work on their computer(bwa chicka bah bah). The guy even got custom made covers for the keyboard and monitor.

Attached find pics.

DSCF0329.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0325.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

It's not all the pics, but it is all you probably care to see.

P.S. My parents are trying to traumatize me, at least thats what I gather.

Last edited:
Well, I hope you enjoy your acquisition.

It wasn't cost effective to inquire about it and pay the shipping for an entire system, when all I needed was the keyboard, nor was it ethical to ask for just the keyboard and break up a fine system.

It may be "all original" now, but, if you put it into a different case, even if it is a AT&T case, it will no longer be "all original", will it? It will have a different serial number and date stamps.

However, it's yours now, so, live it up and make it look pretty.

It may be "all original" now, but, if you put it into a different case, even if it is a AT&T case, it will no longer be "all original", will it? It will have a different serial number and date stamps.

Yes, that was well considered. I think if I just replace the front cover, where the yellowing is, and not the entire case, no one will notice. IIRC, the date stamps are on the inside portion of the top case. If I get lucky, there won' be any there, or my extra will have the same date :p.

EDIT: When I took those pics, I was posting my original post. If you look at the screen to the left, you can see the VCF editing options :smile:

Last edited:
try a mr.clean magic eraser took the yellw off a junker i got at a yard sale

I thought the yellow was fading or something. Does the Mr. Clean eraser scrub off that layer of yellow, or is the yellow just grime stuck to the front?

--Ryan

My first PC printer was an MSP-15...I let someone talk me out of it a few years back, and I still miss it...

it's slightly abrasive and some times those textured panels can grabs lots of dirt and it can pull the dirt out but if it is fading Ive had great results with ace spray paint on IBM's not so sue about matching on an at&t.

Yeah, I have the thing hooked to my main PC right now. Prints like a charm. It is practically brand new, and has a box of the original paper that came with it(shows how much that guy printed) and its orignal manuals. Even under drivers for an Epson LX-80 it prints fast. it is really slim, too. I wish they made printers like the old ones. If they mounted the ink containers and jets on the front, they could be alot slimmer.

Dang - nice looking, complete, original setup there, Bill!
Nice score!

T

I finally have something to go with my years-in-my-collection AT&T 6300 Programming Book, which is really applicable to regular old IBM PC BASIC...

I also got a processor card for that Heathkit H-8. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the power supply...

Very nice find! I was looking at that myself. I was going to bid on it, seems I have extra keyboards in good condition, but then I found my 2.8GHz HP. I decided I needed that more than a 4th AT&T 6300(it would've been a 3rd working). As you can see by my before posts, I already even have 2nd owner system, me being the 2nd. My others are 3rd owner, the first being an AT&T station in Garland, TX.

--Ryan

Very nice find! I was looking at that myself. I was going to bid on it, seems I have extra keyboards in good condition, but then I found my 2.8GHz HP. I decided I needed that more than a 4th AT&T 6300(it would've been a 3rd working). As you can see by my before posts, I already even have 2nd owner system, me being the 2nd. My others are 3rd owner, the first being an AT&T station in Garland, TX.

--Ryan

Good, I may have some questions then when this thing comes. ;-) Any tips in the mean-time (as in things to keep in mind or watch out for)?

When it gets there, open it up and blow out the dust. Not much else to do under the hood. When you have it set up and running, leave it on for 48 hours. If what you install requires a restart, or to install a card, do it. Just try to get that amount with minimum off-time. That allows the internal battery to charge. You could try to scrub off any corrossion, but I never did. AT&T DOS has no difference to Microsoft DOS, other than the support for proprietary devices. No program I ever installed gave me trouble with the proprietary stuff, so it shouldn't be any trouble. The AT&T 6300 really doesn't give off any heat. The chips are only warm even after a few days, and it blows out cold air. The thing would be better off without the fan, honestly. Then you wouldn't have to worry about dust build up. When it is running the internal boot-tests, don't worry if it says your A: drive isn't ready, unless you have a disk in it with the door down. Do worry if it says anything else is wrong. Let me know when it gets there if it has all the disks. If it doesn't I can make a copy. I have complete sets of manuals and disks for 3 AT&Ts and a set of disks and no manuals for a fourth. The AT&T mouse disk didn't come with all releases, as later on it was less needed due to programs having support for it. But in programs that don't and look for a loaded driver it comes in handy. It is nice having a mouse to use in graphical programs. Here are the disks you should find, and the manuals, names sightly paraphrased:
AT&T 6300 system programming guide
AT&T 6300 user's guide to MS-DOS
User's guide to the AT&T 6300
Programming guide AT&T 6300 GW-Basic
Microsoft user's guide to AT&T 6300 DOS 3.2(optional depending on setup)

The AT&T DOS guide is small and for basic commands. The Microsoft version is as big as the GW-Basic one and has ALL commands of DOS in it. I think the AT&T SYSTEM guide is optional as well. It is advanced commands for debugging, ROM calls, System calls, maps & allocations, 8086 addressing, driver making and so on. My memory of what I have in the garage for the 6300(books) doesn't serve me well, but I THINK I only have one SYSTEM programmers guide. If anything goes wrong, I am your guru. I have been using the PC 6300 since I was in diapers(age 2).

--Ryan

Last edited:
If anything goes wrong, I am your guru. I have been using the PC 6300 since I was in diapers(age 2).

And if the kid in diapers is no use :) I did hotline tech support of the PC63xx series for a number of years when I worked at AT&T.

Back