• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Atari 815 Dual Disk Drive

ErikTheHack

I've been looking for one of these for years. I've never even seen one of these "in the flesh". I know they were actually produced but I'm pretty sure production was limited.

Anyone know anyone that has one of these? Anyone possibly want to sell one?

-E

To talk with owners, join Atarimania.com or Atariage.com.

As you know, they are rare and really could only be owned by outlandish luck or offering tons of money.

Yes, I know,

Yes, I know,

Both Curt Vendel, webmaster of atari-history.com and his friend Christopher Strong both have 815 drives,

In fact Chris has 3 of them and parts for 2 more,,,

He also ownes THE ACTUAL 815 drive Meseum pice that was once on display at Ataris Huston Meseum.

I've been looking for one of these for years. I've never even seen one of these "in the flesh". I know they were actually produced but I'm pretty sure production was limited.

Anyone know anyone that has one of these? Anyone possibly want to sell one?

-E

I have two. The 815 Dual drive was never in production. These are from an per-production development run. I am willing to sell one.

As per the Atari 8-bit FAQ, the Atari 815 drive "were produced (all hand-built), but are very rare" and "Atari didn't want to release them due to severe QA problems with the drive but they had so many pre-orders they had to release something. I think they filled the pre-orders and then cancelled the model -- Most of them got returned due to problems."

Back