• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Awesome Epson QX-16 Complete Collection!

lol awesome. That's one of the best things to keep with the system. I love seeing ads for the product when it's new and the original price tag. Great items to keep with a collection. I couldn't read it from the pic what's it saying for the system price?

The list price was $2,995.00 Looks like the total bill with the extras added on was $3300.00! The Epson FX-80 dot matrix printer was free with this deal. (I have that also) Glad you liked it--I thought it was neat seeing the original ad and sales receipt.

The list price was $2,995.00 Looks like the total bill with the extras added on was $3300.00! The Epson FX-80 dot matrix printer was free with this deal. (I have that also) Glad you liked it--I thought it was neat seeing the original ad and sales receipt.
I had an Epson FX-80 printer for many years. Although extremely durable, its print quality is rather poor, even in comparison to other 9-pin dot matrix printers.

However, it's not the worst-quality printer I've used; that distinction would go to the Hewlett Packard ThinkJet -- HP's very first inkjet printer. Libraries loved ThinkJets because they were extremely quiet, but the printouts were barely intelligible. The dots looked randomly placed in a pattern that vaguely approximated letter and number shapes!

I had an Epson FX-80 printer for many years. Although extremely durable, its print quality is rather poor, even in comparison to other 9-pin dot matrix printers.

A tidbit. Although the Americans developed the solenoid-and-wire dot-matrix technology, it was the Japanese that refined it. Some of the early 80's single-pass 24(?) pin printers developed for the Japanese market (Kanji requires much finner resolution to print than does Romaji) were incredible.

Okidata sampled one to us about 1981-82, but wouldn't even give us a quotation on it.

Multipass 9-pin (a la Sanders) could come pretty close.

Last edited:
Very nice system.

Where are all the good links to software and manuals for the QX-16? There's some out there, but it seems to be incomplete, or heavily QX-10 based. Some QX-10 stuff works on the QX-16, but what I'm hoping to find is the actual original stuff that was meant for the QX-16. The QX-16 seems largely ignored by the QX-10 lovers.

Hello @blhardness,

I rescue last week an complete EPSON QX16 motherboard and a EPSON Q 612A GREEN MONITOR from electronic scrape!
I want to make it work, but I din't have a Monitor-cable.
The board has an 8 pin female DIN-jack and the monitor has an 7 pin female DIN-jack. The signal is TTL-MONO.
The pins of the monitor I now. But I have no information about the pins of the video-jack of the board?
Can everywone give me the correct information about that?

Regards ZX81AMIGA

Back