• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Awesome tape I've never heard of before.

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
Some of y'all were around and old enough in the early 90s to remember what I have here. Does a band named Drivin' N' Cryin' ring a bell to anyone here? Specifically an album called "Fly Me Couragous". I got it on tape at my local thrift store and I can't belive I've never heard of them before.

Some of y'all were around and old enough in the early 90s to remember what I have here. Does a band named Drivin' N' Cryin' ring a bell to anyone here? Specifically an album called "Fly Me Couragous". I got it on tape at my local thrift store and I can't belive I've never heard of them before.

Are they like BR549?

The band name tickles a glimmer of recognition, but the song I hit on YouTube doesn't sound at all familiar.

It sounds like these folks were overwhelmed by the popularity of hair bands and grunge. I can't say they ever got any airplay on my local AOR radio station.

But if we're name dropping obscure 90's bands, I'll offer up "Toy Matinee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTdtf0LFMk

The band name tickles a glimmer of recognition, but the song I hit on YouTube doesn't sound at all familiar.

It sounds like these folks were overwhelmed by the popularity of hair bands and grunge. I can't say they ever got any airplay on my local AOR radio station.

But if we're name dropping obscure 90's bands, I'll offer up "Toy Matinee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTdtf0LFMk

I think they weren't popular because they we're too late to the party. The album I have is dated 1993 but it sounds like straight up mid-80s hair metal. Sounds great but I can imagine in 1993 most people who heard it probably passed it off as dated.

Brother I haven't even hit 20 yet I'm afraid I haven't a clue.

Yeah, well, my BR539 CD might be about that old. They copped their name from Junior Samples' used car gig lot gig on Hew Haw, as in "Call BR-549. They're not too bad and a couple of rungs above the average garage band. They did make to Grand Ole Opry twice or once.

Last edited:
"( I'm Goin' ) Straight to Hell" is one of my favorite songs. I'm not sure which album had the original release of the song, but it made it to the two "best of" Drivin 'n' Cryin' albums I have.

I remember the song but never knew the band name or song names, crazy I haven't heard that song in over 20 years but did enjoy it back then! Thanks for ruffling the memory feathers ;)

Back